Motorized vehicle projects mopeds/bikes/gokarts etc!~

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
Motorized vehicle projects mopeds/bikes/gokarts etc!~

Post by Triton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 pm

I KNOW i'm not the only person on here who has a thing for sticking motors on things with wheels, now that i have some free time again (got fired :lol: ) i'm gonna be catching up on some projects of the motorized variety. the first one is my lambretta scooter restoration, which you can check out in my sig. and the other one is something i've been wanting to do for YEARS, ever since i got this sweet 85cc tecumseh 2 stroke snow blower motor at a garage sale for 5 bucks :lol: at first i wanted to build a motorized bike, but that plan evolved this last year into something slightly more ambitious, a board track racer styled motorized bike :twisted:

For those of you who dont know, board track racing was an early form of motorcycle racing dating back to the turn of the last century, more specifically 1910/11 to 1922 or so. the basic premise is you have a racetrack up to two miles long, made out of boards, with turns banked up to 60 degrees and these guys would race around them at speeds up to and over 100 miles an hour with no brakes, no throttle, no safety equipment and balls of steel :lol: the motorcycles were basically glorified bicycles with massive 1000cc V-twin engines

Today the board track era motorcycles are some of the rarest and most valuable bikes out there. and in my opinion are works of art on wheels and marvels of early 20th century engineering with things like the indian 8 valve Vtwin and excelcior overhead cam super X paving the way.

OK! now that you have the backstory on to the project! i will be starting with a western flier trophy bike that i bought from my grandmas neighbor years ago. its a classic cruiser style bike, not quite boardtrack frame style but its still going to look very much period proper when i'm done with it :)
sitting in the frame you can see the 2-3hp tecumseh 2 stroke i'm going to be working with on this bike, it will get some cosmetic tweaks and some minor performance improvements (tuned pipe and proper moped type carb with oil injection) i will post more details on the project once i have some stuff to show off, in the meantime who else is workin on something cool with a motor on it!

Soulsaviger
360 GamerTag:robloxzack
Steam ID:robloxzack

Re: Motorized vehicle projects mopeds/bikes/gokarts etc!~

Post by Soulsaviger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Nice, Makes Me Want To Go Out And Build One Too! Sorry You Got Fired But Look On The Bright Side, You Can Work On Some Projects!
I'd kill myself too if my last name was........ COMBS!

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm

me of course as you know. ive got a couple project ideas coming up.

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 am

Motorized vehicles? Does this kludged monstrosity count? :lol:

My dad just got a new supercharger on his car and is giving me the old, electric one. I'm gonna stick it on this bike and see what happens! I'll probably blow the engine out, considering how much thrust this thing puts out, and then concentrated on one cylinder that's less that 1/10th the size. XD

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 am

Mario wrote:Motorized vehicles? Does this kludged monstrosity count? :lol:

My dad just got a new supercharger on his car and is giving me the old, electric one. I'm gonna stick it on this bike and see what happens! I'll probably blow the engine out, considering how much thrust this thing puts out, and then concentrated on one cylinder that's less that 1/10th the size. XD
if its electric just undervolt it to lower the boost, not sure how well the carb will handle boost tho, keep us posted! sounds like a fun project :twisted: i'm gonna get video of my motor running today just for kicks

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:15 pm

electric supercharger? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Why do you think he's upgrading it? :P It put out 2 pounds I think. It may not be the best for a car, but it should be great for a weed whacker.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm

also, you cannot put forced induction on a 2 stroke motor. its impossible to pressurize the combustion chamber. if you try to force a fuel air mixture into it, it will just blow straight out the exhaust port. long before the piston closes it off.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

I am currently working on a wooden go-kart and a weedeater bicycle. The bike is a grant 21-speed with a homelite SX-135 motor, and the go kart is using a craftsman vertical-shaft converted to horizontal. I'll get pics once either project gets more than 25% done. :P

antidisestablishmentarian sardonicism danaite
Last edited by Basement_Modder on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 pm

dragonhead wrote:also, you cannot put forced induction on a 2 stroke motor. its impossible to pressurize the combustion chamber. if you try to force a fuel air mixture into it, it will just blow straight out the exhaust port. long before the piston closes it off.
Yep, only diesel 2 strokes will work with it, no fuel in the intake air to blow out the exhaust side.

Electric superchargers are 100% BS, you're probably lucky if you break even with usable power. First off, you have to make power using the alternator, then use that power to drive the electric motor on the supercharger, which are maybe 50% efficient together. Then you have to think of how much power a supercharger takes to compress air as fast as it needs to, which eats into your gains. That's why turbos are generally better, they make boost without putting nearly as much load on the engine by using the heat in the exhaust. So there is no way something that inefficient to begin with will help much, if at all, after you factor in the electrical draw.
What car did he supercharge?

Basement_Modder wrote:craftsman vertical-shaft converted to horizontal
How did you do that?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:44 pm

vskid wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:craftsman vertical-shaft converted to horizontal
How did you do that?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 am

That's an excellent video! I'll definitely have to try that sometime.

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 am

The idea is starting to come together, and i can do almost all of it without welding!

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:03 pm

did some work :)
cardboard tank mockup, motor placed appx where it will sit when mounted, bars flipped. next step is swapping over the brakes and 3spd hub onto this bike and trying to scavenge some plate and pipe to mount my motor with

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi! I was thinking of buying a magic flight launch box and rigging it up to a 13" or so capacitor in my backpack. It made me think of you guys.

I wasn't expecting to find any old members, to be honest.

I don't know why I haven't stuck motors on to things before. You've inspired me.

So, like, I'm totally a stoner now.

What's goin' on?
Hey, sup?