Battery Question

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Masterofdarkness
Battery Question

Post by Masterofdarkness » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:53 am

I have a broken rechargeable battery charger.(2 ports dont work and the other 2 do) If I was to wire the pcb with harshboy's power diagram having 6 batteries in the charger (1.2v per battery = 7.2v) Would this work if I wired it with harshboys diagram outputting enough power for the screen and n64?
Then to charge them, I'd desolder the 120V adapter from the pcb and wire them to little metal plates in a little box, and then wire the same metal plates on the n64p from the charger pcb and put a magnet on top and bottom of the each object (n64p and little box to pull them together) so that they would create a circuit to realistically charge the batteries?

Crappy Diagram:http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8043/diagramlol.png (The magnets are above and below the metal plates, the diagram got screwed up)

Snipeye

Re: Battery Question

Post by Snipeye » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 pm

From what I understand, you have 2 working ports on a battery charger, I.E., 2 individual slots to charge AA batteries, correct? And from those 2, you want to charge 6?

Well, if the 6 are wired in series to give you 7.2v, then no. You can't do it. AA chargers are meant to charge individual, 1.5V of AA-ness. 7.2V!=1.5V. If you wired them in parallel, probably even then still not, because that would take a lot of current or a long time to charge them all.

Masterofdarkness

Post by Masterofdarkness » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Snipeye wrote:From what I understand, you have 2 working ports on a battery charger, I.E., 2 individual slots to charge AA batteries, correct? And from those 2, you want to charge 6?

Well, if the 6 are wired in series to give you 7.2v, then no. You can't do it. AA chargers are meant to charge individual, 1.5V of AA-ness. 7.2V!=1.5V. If you wired them in parallel, probably even then still not, because that would take a lot of current or a long time to charge them all.
Actually the 2 working ports have 8 slots open (4 batteries per slot), I could take a couple pictures and show you, if thatd make it easier?

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Considerably, but we'll see.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 am

Alight, so it's what I expected -- the charger charges the batteries in parallel, so 1.2V at a time. In order to run the batteries at 7.2v, you'll need them in series. You could take them out of the portable and then charge them, but unless you did some very, VERY tricky switch-wiring, not possible.

Masterofdarkness

Post by Masterofdarkness » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the quick response man :)
Would it be better to run the portable off of all AA batteries and recharge them separately(like would I get more playing time because the mAh adds up?)
If I were to run them off of AA batteries how would I go about running them in a series to get 7.2v?

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Running of AA's is... interesting. To be safe, I'd run off 8 (if you're going to use rechargeable batteries) but 6 is fine (if you're using non-rechargeables, I.E., Alkalines). That's because there's a voltage difference - rechargables are almost always 1.2v, alkalines are 1.5v. Now, when you wire them in parallel, like this:

_-_ _-_ _-_
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
-- -- --

See, the little 'button/nib' thing is all at the top, all the tops connect together, all the bottoms connect together - that means you stack up the mAh, but the voltage stays the same. Doing it Nib connects to flat part, nib to flat, nib to flat, etc, means series, and you can the same mAh as one battery, but more voltage. So, 7.2v from rechargables would be wiring 6 AA rechargable batteries in series. However, since the AA loses voltage as it discharges, 8 rechargables (9.6V) is better. Then you just take them out and recharge them, then put them back in.

Also, i'mma be gone for a few days here, so this is the last I'll be able to contribute in this thread for a while. Sorry, bro.

Masterofdarkness

Post by Masterofdarkness » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Scrap the rest of that idea with the AAs
How would I wire these batteries:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BP915-Generic-Bat ... 1c1a7c4dbc
to this PCB:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Protection-Circuit- ... 33651741f5
I would think you'd wire the batteries parallel, and then wire them to the pcb?
And then I would wire P+ and P- for positive and negative with harshboy's power diagram?
ANDDDD another question I have is how would I charge the batteries? Would I use the charger from the seller and wire up a charger port with the batteries or?