fried dvd drive and no key backup

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

pbplayerjim
fried dvd drive and no key backup

Post by pbplayerjim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:37 pm

I was working on my xbox and plugged in the power cable backwards. There was a bit of smoke and light turned red. I plugged it in right side up and now the light flashes green and the drive does nothing. Is there any way to fix it? The board has no real signs of damage so I don't know what it could be. It is a xbox 360 slim. Please help someone.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: fried dvd drive and no key backup

Post by humakabula1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

depending on the drive, you can either get another liteon off ebay and flash it (or jtag, i forget which one it is)
but then you wont be able to play online.
thats the original liteon btw

OLD:

NEW: (image is huge)
Spoiler:
new ones may be sold now, not too sure
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

pbplayerjim

Post by pbplayerjim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 pm

I have a lite-on with firmware version 0225. I can only read the key off of it but I am not sure if it is even in a state where I can read it because there was smoke. I want an idea if there is any resistors i need to replace and then if i can get a lite-on with fw version 9504 and flash the key to it and play online. Or just fix the drive permanently and not worry about getting the key.

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm

hi, i did the exact same thing, plugging the plug in the wrong way round.I had nearly finished my xbox laptop and It was very annoying, but I found a guy who actually read the cd key from the eeprom and then flashed a new working drive for my xbox, and it worked perfect. PM me if you would like the contact details of this guy.

Hope this helps,

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php