Wii U

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Wii U

Post by Hifeno » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:30 am

What do you guy think? I can't wait to get my hands on it. I wish they would have announced a few more specs on console though.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Muniosi

Re: Wii U

Post by Muniosi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm

One word.

Also the name sucks.
Last edited by Muniosi on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 pm

The controller agitates me, I am keeping an open mind about it being a tablet, but non-diagonally opposed thumbsticks?! Who does Nintendo think it is? Sony? Even the Gamecube got that right.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 pm

That controller looks awfully expensive, and I'm curious to see what the specs are and how much it will cost.

The technology looks interesting and has a lot of potential, but so did the Wii and it ended up with a lot of shovelware.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Nintendo lost me with the Wii.
I am not 12, I'm not 14, I'm 21 and not a chick. Sadly this rules me out of their target.

Sorry nintendo, I don't like your games anymore.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Black Six wrote:The technology looks interesting and has a lot of potential, but so did the Wii and it ended up with a lot of shovelware.
Yep, they just happen to innovate in a direction that is perfect for shovelware. And why make good games when crappy games can catch the eyes of every child and weak parent's will buy it for them.
It looks neat, but I probably won't buy one.

GeckoLink

Post by GeckoLink » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:53 am

seems like a chore to use

ninjamonkey

Post by ninjamonkey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 am

Personally, I like it. I don't really use my Wii. The reason for that is that there are few good FPS games. The few I do play are Goldeneye, The Conduit, MW:RE. Then, there is super smash brothers, Mario Kart; although got to admit it is getting a bit old. I like the ideas that they are applying on the Mario Kart 3DS; with the hand gliders and submarine cars (Mario has become James Bond).

Another thing is the ability to do homebrew. I used to play the homebrew stuff, but even those aren't that great. I like the Wii because I like being in the game a bit more than usual. I understand that the controls for the Wii, weren't the greatest. That made the Wii more fun for me.

That being so, I think the WiiU has more potential. Hopefully, from what I saw shown during the conference, the third party support will be better. I think the controller for the WiiU is an interesting idea. I think it could be an cool new interface for certain games. Think about it; In a game like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, you could use it to hack stuff and those sort of things. Plus, I like the Wii being free online like the PS3 network. I will admit though that the Wii's online isn't that great when it comes to online matches. I could see it turning out awesome. The WiiU still has a good amount of time before it comes out.

So at the moment: The graphics look nice a this time; can get better over time potentially. The games will hopefully be better with third party support (EA games - hoping for Battlefield 3). The controller offers some new idea to put in games (RTS/FPS's - Lay out an attack strategy on the touch screen on the controllers; sports - call moves on the touch screen). I have no problems with either Sony or Microsoft. I just don't have the money to buy a Xbox or PS3; not to mention Xbox live is expensive.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Is it only me or does it remind to many of the N64 Portable or Snes Portables which can be found here?

Im also curious about the price, especially for the controller, it looks much more expensive than a simple Wiimote+Nunchuk.

Then Ive read they used a touchscreen like the DS, it even comes with a stylus...

I will buy it probably anyway (maybe not right at the start but later) because of games like Zelda, Mario Kart, etc.

Now here comes my part daydreaming:
Maybe the controller can be fed by a SD-Card, and can be used without the main console.
Then there will maybe be good SNES Homebrew Emulators for that guy, and I can play all my old favorite SNES games on the way on a big screen.
Which reminds me, I still havent been able to finish my SnesPortable :-(

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:52 pm

@Sledge Hammer sorry to burst your bubble, but we've been told specifically that no processing is done on the handheld. Also, big N hates homebrew.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Sigh, I suspected it.
Which company does not hate homebrew?

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

It seems that all of them do. PC is a better platform for homebrew. Ms does have xbla for homebrew.

Biased

Post by Biased » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Black Six wrote:That controller looks awfully expensive, and I'm curious to see what the specs are and how much it will cost.

The technology looks interesting and has a lot of potential, but so did the Wii and it ended up with a lot of shovelware.
I kind of have to agree with this. Its ability to do everything it does while still depending on being synced to the console will probably kill it for me if it's moderately expensive. However I imagine getting a hold of a broken/non-functional/fritzy one on ebay for the cheap would be a portablizer's dream. If it had its own firmware/OS or could emulate DS games, and had its own branch of the Nintendo Shop Channel I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Things that come to mind at first after the first glimpse of the hardware (Some I know may be far-fetched because the product is coming from a large company with its own monetary interests in mind most of the time):
1. Melding the new controller and the console together. - The demo video showed the ability for games to be played on the controller instead of a TV screen, having it ALL in one handheld wouldn't be too bad aside from the possible weight and necessary power cable, maybe heat and cooling since it has Hi Def capabilities. Externalizing the PSU completely and using a small power jack would alleviate such problems somewhat.
2. Hacking the WVI for other uses or possibly figuring out how to hack video input
3. Providing the controller isn't too expensive:
a. Using the controller's circuitry and case for easier portablizing
b. Tapping into the resources of the controller along with any other necessary hardware to get an OS running on it

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I have been reading that Someone from Nintendo said that it would only support 1 controller with 4 Wiimotes. This does not seem right since most of the third party devs and even Nintendo said that this would work great for sports games and such so everyone had their plays hidden and such. Do you guys think this is true or just some speculation.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 pm

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was the possibility for Nintendo to have a viable platform for a console RTS. I will concede that it would not be ideal but it would be much better than the current state of console RTS games. I'd love for RTS games to become more main stream.