Would it be a bad idea to overclock my n64?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

FLAPJACKDAN
Would it be a bad idea to overclock my n64?

Post by FLAPJACKDAN » Sun May 29, 2011 2:00 pm

My n64 is NUS-CPU-03 and I want to add a overclock switch to it for my portable. Would it be okay to do as long as I use a fan and proper heatsinks? Also if it's doable how do I have a fan run off the n64?

JonathanMC

Re: Would it be a bad idea to overclock my n64?

Post by JonathanMC » Sun May 29, 2011 3:49 pm

I don't know how to over-clock a N64, but I'm sure you already have that part figured out. Considering some say it is necessary to have heat sinks AND a fan even without over-clocking it, I would imagine that a fan with good heat sinks would be needed for an over-clocked N64. Having said that, all you need to run the fan off the N64 is to wire the positive and negative of the fan to the positive and negative of the N64.

FLAPJACKDAN

Post by FLAPJACKDAN » Mon May 30, 2011 10:01 pm

I was already planning on adding heatsinks onto it and a fan is usually not needed for most portables. I just want to know if my n64 will hold up if I add a fan. It's going to be pretty tight but I'm a good amount of vent holes. But I also want to know if the overclock will even work at all (since I'm running off a battery and not wall power). Also here's the tutorial that I'm using: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/n64oc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 pm

The revisions before 05 don't overclock worth a crap. It's not a matter of heat. They are an earlier revision and just don't work at the faster speed.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon May 30, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't remember what revision my Retro64 was. One of the later ones, like 6 or 7. But anyway, I had it overclocked and after a few months it would crash when I turned it on. I would have to cycle the power four or five times before it would work for more than five seconds. Even then, it would sometimes crash again after a couple minutes.

I couldn't figure out what it was, until I decided to try disabling the overclock. Worked just fine ever since.

FLAPJACKDAN

Post by FLAPJACKDAN » Tue May 31, 2011 7:29 am

Well thanks for answering my question.