Custom LCD Bezel.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

BurningSkyline
360 GamerTag:BurningSkyline
Custom LCD Bezel.

Post by BurningSkyline » Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

I've taken apart a netbook, and I took the LCD out. I'm currently looking for a decent priced controller, because the resolution of this monitor would be nice for my IRC chat, and system temps. After that is done, I need a bezel to mount everything into. Basically, I'd be interested in seeing Ben do this. Thoughts?

tom61

Re: Custom LCD Bezel.

Post by tom61 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm

There are lots of LCD controllers on eBay from as little as $30 shipped. You need the maker and model number off the back of the LCD itself to find a compatible controller and get a proper cable made. As for a bezel/mount, I've seen people make a custom one out and plexiglass/lexan and people just finding a photo frame (the non-digital kind) that's close enough in size and putting the LCD in the back.

I think it would be something cool for Ben to tackle, even though it'd be a pain to have a surge of people asking if you can do it without a controller by wiring directly to VGA/DVI/HDMI (wrong signals) or how to make their own out of parts they have laying around.

BurningSkyline

Post by BurningSkyline » Mon May 30, 2011 10:58 pm

tom61 wrote:There are lots of LCD controllers on eBay from as little as $30 shipped. You need the maker and model number off the back of the LCD itself to find a compatible controller and get a proper cable made. As for a bezel/mount, I've seen people make a custom one out and plexiglass/lexan and people just finding a photo frame (the non-digital kind) that's close enough in size and putting the LCD in the back.

I think it would be something cool for Ben to tackle, even though it'd be a pain to have a surge of people asking if you can do it without a controller by wiring directly to VGA/DVI/HDMI (wrong signals) or how to make their own out of parts they have laying around.
I've seen those controllers on ebay... Never bought one though. If you have any links of those custom ones could you send me a link? I'm interested.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:49 am

I don't have any links handy on the custom plexiglass mounts. You have quite a bit of flexibility, given that you can mount it on either side (since the plexi is clear.) Just make screw holes for the mounting tabs around the LCD, find a way to mount the LCD controller, and then make it stay upright somehow.

BurningSkyline

Post by BurningSkyline » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 am

As for mounting I bet I could use some sort of VESA mount or something along the lines of that. Keep me posted if you find any of those links please.