Serious problems with N64P

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

adamdpayne
Serious problems with N64P

Post by adamdpayne » Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 am

so I'm having some issues with my n64p. I'm in the middle of doing a game cart relocation. I wired all the pins and checked them for continuity and shorts and it all checked out fine. I gave it power, turned it on, power came on but no picture no sound. So I turned it off, rechecked the wiring and it was all fine so I tried again, no power at all. After this, I check wiring a THIRD time and discovered something odd. Pins at the opposite corners were somehow connected :shock: Any ideas how pins that are separated by like 2 inches are shorting or what I should do next to try and troubleshoot? I haven't rewired or relocated anything else on the board and consistently checked the temp of all the processors to make sure nothing was getting too hot.

MarioOwnsAll

Re: Serious problems with N64P

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Thu May 12, 2011 12:34 pm

When you relocate the cart slot there are 2 pins that you are supposed to skip, pins 14 and 39 I believe. As for the power issue, it was getting power which means it can get power again so just make sure all your solder joints are clean and secure. Oh and are you remembering to ground the n64? There is a pin on the av connector labeled G for ground, it won't work without that.

MarioOwnsAll

adamdpayne

Post by adamdpayne » Fri May 13, 2011 7:31 am

i went to recheck and I did remember to skip those pins so that's not the issue. all the solder joints are strong and clean. I havent removed the av connector or power connector because i wanted to check each modification as i did them. i don't think the n64 is fried because none of the chips are getting warm when i have it switched on. any other ideas?

adamdpayne

Post by adamdpayne » Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 am

another symptom, i noticed that even though it doesn't seem to be getting power, when i plugged in the AV connector again this morning, i heard a small pop from my speakers.

adamdpayne

Post by adamdpayne » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

turns out it was just that my power supply decided to choose this as a perfect time to die. I wired up my step-down regulator and used my ps1 power supply and it turned on just fine :D