GBA SP front light on original GBA? EDIT: YES! pix soon!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

palmertech wrote:Exactly. GBA and GBC must be frontlit, but the GBP and GBO can both be backlit. Some people have done it with EL foil, but the result is not very stunning.
Good to know.

Also I put afterburners in a bunch of Neo Geo Pocket Colors a few years back and sold them on Ebay. Wasn't to hard but it didn't cover the whole screen. There was like a mm or 2 mm cut off on the bottom. But it still looked nice :)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Here is my next theory: Since the DS screen is a bit larger, you could use a ds phat frontlight on a NGPC, and it would cover the
whole screen.

How much did they fetch?

Excellent

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:47 pm

palmertech wrote:Here is my next theory: Since the DS screen is a bit larger, you could use a ds phat frontlight on a NGPC, and it would cover the
whole screen.

How much did they fetch?
Seems like I sold them for about $125-$150. But that was like 5 years ago. Everyone wanted them :D

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

So Palmertech, did you have to remove that reflective layer? I had trouble with doing that and getting all of the glue stuff off - it's hard to do without scratching the polarization layer; I'm tempted to try and use some citrusolve to dissolve it.

I'm debating on whether I want to purchase a new gameboy pocket and backlight that, or frontlight my GBA.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Also, fantastic news. The Sega Nomad I'm going to give to Bacteria has an intact backlight; I'll be keeping that though, as it'll help me backlight my GBO very much - it's millions of times lighter than the DS lite one :P

Palmertech, you should get on AIM or maybe skype so we can discuss how to make the LCD on the GBO transparent - the good news is that by doing that it'll lose it's pea soup color. I've already cut down the backlight to a good size that should fit, as there's plenty of room in there.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:31 am

palmertech - bibin PM'd me and looks like he is trading a Nomad mobo for my light; seems like a good deal, I don't have one of these; arranging trade details (hopefully). If it falls through you have next "dibs".

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 am

So Palmertech, what's the status on the Backlit GBP? If it's not available, I think I'd settle for working something else out involving the lit GBA and a stock Gameboy pocket. I might order a DS lite screen and backlight the GB pocket if you can show all of BenHeck.com how to do that.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 pm

palmertech - bibin didn't trade in the end, so item is available - PM me with your offer if you still want it...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:21 pm

PMd.

I tore my GBP ribbon cable. :( I am going to order a few on ebay. If anybody has some, by all means, let me know.

Excellent

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5

Re: GBA SP front light on original GBA? EDIT: YES! pix soon!

Post by batteries » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 am

I'll be putting a GBA SP frontlight in a regular GBA soon. I'll post pics if the people want them. 8)

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Buddy, this is from 2008 if you haven't noticed and I don't think they are doing this anymore.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:06 pm

I am still doing this, buddy. :P

Look forward to seeing any new GBA frontlight mods!

Excellent

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 am

I'm still doing this, had all the bits for doing GBA's NGPC's and wonderswans for years but never got around to doing any.

I've done one GBA so far, but I'm still trying to tweak and improve it before i do the rest.

Currently the screen is only comfortable visible if you tilt the GBA slightly away from you, which is then uncomfortable on your hands after a while.

I improved it with an anti-glare mobile phone screen film, but although it improved it the dark colours are now a little grainy, and it's nowhere near as good as an actual GBA SP still

Is there any tips anyone has? I was wondering about changing where the film is, as technically it's designed to stop light reflecting off the front whilst allowing maximum light through the back, which is great for a backlit screen, but surely with a frontlight an amount of light needs to go through the front of the screen to reflect and come back through

So it needs something on the screen to stop light cuasing reflections, but still allow transmission of light, and the light panel perhaps needs a coating to stop reflections but allow all the screen reflected light back through it