Wii HD rumors and speculation

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953
Re: Wii HD rumors and speculation

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Hifeno wrote:Can Nintendo not just update the firmware of the Wii to output HD. That is how they added everything else that is on it now.
Bush wrote:That would require a new gpu.
Bush is correct - Wii hardware cannot support HD, no matter the software or firmware running on it.

Further, the way the Wii is set up, firmware updates don't affect games. They kind of painted themselves into a corner. Games cannot be patched, nor features added. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't, say, add voice support to games like Mario Kart.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:57 pm

I for one am pretty excited for the new whatever it is that Nintendo is coming out with. I pretty much jumped past owning a wii or any of the consoles for consecutive periods of time, but the Wii especially. I always thought that the motion controls weren't as good as they could have been and that people enjoyed playing wii sports to really look at other games for it. Granted, I did enjoy Super Mario Galaxy immensely and I always wanted to play some of the other games but everyone is right, HD is where it's at this generation and when you only have 480p it's a problem. Hell, my original (now 10 year old xbox) can do 480p...

Also, the gamecube was a decent bit more powerful than the ps2 and only slightly less powerful than the xbox. There are many games that still look great on it compared to wii games even.

khaag

Post by khaag » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:38 am

vskid wrote:
Bush wrote:It can be a gimmick, but when used properly it works great.
That there is the key. How many games are better because they use wavy controllers?

I doubt they'll come out with a powerhouse, at best it'll be similar to the 360 power-wise, so it'll be left in the dust when Microsoft and Sony come out with something new a couple years later.
That could be a good thing though, they could be putting themselves in their own market. Why compete with Sony and Microsoft when you can put out a system by itself ahead of time, and sell a crap-ton of systems before the other guys come out with their new systems? And knowing Nintendo, they're gonna build this thing as inexpensive as possible so they can sell it as inexpensively as possible. Personally, I think it would be a good move.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 am

khaag wrote:And knowing Nintendo, they're gonna build this thing as inexpensive as possible so they can sell it as inexpensively as possible. Personally, I think it would be a good move.
Are you sure you don't mean, 'build it as inexpensively as possible so they can sell it at as large of a markup as possible'? :P
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 am

Knowing Nintendo, it's going to be just powerful enough to comfortably support whatever they add to it as cheap as possible. Getting it out a year or two early is a smokescreen to make up for the fact that the Wii is outdated, and they can manufacture them at rock-bottom prices once chip manufacturers have a CPU fire sale after they've been superseded by new designs.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am

ha ha ha and I still wont mod the thing. I have had one in my room all year before I moved, I didn't want to do any thing with it.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I was never interested in the GameCube due to its poorer graphics performance and lack of games
just wanted to point out that the gamecube was not very far behind the original xbox in terms of graphical power. the ps2 was by far the weaker console in that cycle unless you count the dreamcast, but some games looked better on the DC :lol:

Bush

Post by Bush » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 pm

+1 to triton. I never understood why people said that, the GC had beautiful games IMO.

Bush

Post by Bush » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Double post, but this article has more details than before; 3-core PPC, ATI R700 based series gpu (HD4000 series, lets hope its been customized a bit), controller has 6in HD touchscreen with cameras, and standard game controls. Obviously unconfirmed.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I really doubt the concept of having a screen on the controllers. Too useless and too expensive, especially if it is touchscreen and a decent size. It would add weight and drain the batteries more. Also, if it is any sort of motion control (as I believe it will be), a screen on the controller makes even less sense.

I'm thinking some general improvements in a logical jump, nothing too crazy. Think DSi -> 3DS. Hardware improvements, but same general concept and layout, and also backwards compatible.

Bush

Post by Bush » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:49 pm

if they want to recapture the hardcore market, they will do something more subtle than the wii again.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:10 am

So now the article says it's going to be a 360 with an upgraded GPU?
eagle5953 wrote:I really doubt the concept of having a screen on the controllers. Too useless and too expensive, especially if it is touchscreen and a decent size.
Didn't they try that with the GBA and GameCube, and maybe three games ever actually supported it? They could do something similar with the 3DS/WiiHD, but it would only be necessary in a limited game range (card games and digitized board games) and it would require each player to have a $250 handheld.

Bush

Post by Bush » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 am

Just because they have similar architecture means nothing. For all we know it could have a much more powerful PPC cpu. There were tons of games that supported GC/GBA link, and it should be similar to a VMU in practice I think. The link function was more for linking games together than the second screen feature. Also, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't make a controller that costs $250. You are being very unrealistic. I honestly wouldn't imagine it costing much more than controllers do now, otherwise no one would buy them. Additionally, screens are very very cheap these days. I wish you guys would have an open mind about this; it hasn't even actually been announced.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 am

Bush wrote:I wish you guys would have an open mind about this; it hasn't even actually been announced.
There's this thing called being realistic.

Bush

Post by Bush » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 am

A $250 controller is not realistic.