Nintendo 3Ds

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101
Re: Nintendo 3Ds

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Not to bump an older thread but I didn't see another thread.

I am going to trade in my XL towards the 3ds. I tried it out and it gave me a headache at first but I got used to it.

Did anyone else get one?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Yeah, I picked a black one up about 10 PM after getting back to MGC. :D Also, I picked up Pilotwings.

3d effect really works pretty well. I initially saw a dark band in the middle of the screen, but I was just holding the thing too close. The effect is lost if you tilt the system much left or right in relation to your head, but up-and-down tilt or bringing it nearer to you does not, thankfully.

The system's shape looked very strange to me, but once I had one in hand, much less so. I was also concerned that the shiny finish would be fingerprinty, but it actually isn't. However, I didn't realize that the system is two-tone; the bottom is a kind of dark gray.

The bottom touchscreen seems more responsive, and the expanding stylus is pretty spiffy too. The dock is the simplest I've seen - just drop it on there, and a lever pushes two prongs right where they go. Additionally, as is the case with most docks, the cable can be plugged directly into the 3DS. The cable seems longer than most, presumably so as to make it easier to play while plugged in.

The new shroompad is great. The top is soft and concave, it travels much farther than the PSP analog, and while the apparent resistance is less, it smartly recenters itself. It's biggest advantage is the location - also unlike the PSP, the pad is right where your thumb naturally lands.

All the buttons seem more clicky than my previous DS, a Lite. The dpad and ABXY buttons are particularly noticeable. The latter buttons also seem a little smaller than I'd like, I guess. I didn't get a chance to completely cycle the battery, but it does seem to go through it a good deal faster than previous DS iterations. The shoulder buttons are nice and protrude just enough to press well. The headphone port, directly centered on the bottom edge, seems to be more of an aesthetic choice than anything.

In my opinion, the graphics seem to be about on par with the Gamecube, I'd say. It's tough to gauge accurately because of the screen resolution (lower screen resolution can mask lower polygon counts and lesser textures). However, the 3D effect also does help make the games look better.

All in all, it's a superb system and a worthy successor to the DS line. I await with eager anticipation the amazing games that will arrive in the coming months and years.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

That is good to hear. I was a bit hesitant at first because I immensely enjoy my XL but I would like to upgrade and I'm fine with getting rid of it as it's now valuable to gamestop for a trade-in. I would have picked one up while at MGC but they were out of stock. I thought the system would be more desirable at first but I'd imagine the $250 price tag helps it. I went in to see if they had any and they had two blue and one black for sale at the moment haha. So I put $100 down and am going to get it either tomorrow or on Thursday. I'll report back in with my opinions.

I am also glad that it can still take (as of this moment) DS flash carts.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm

i did get a chance to play with the japanese release version the day before it dropped in america thanks to marshalls friend (nick? i'm terrible with names :lol:) and was VERY impressed with the 3d effects. i cant justify the expense at this point in time but if i were to get a handheld in the future a 3ds would be it!

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 pm

anyone planning on modding one?
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 pm

well yeah. I mean a non two word post... YEAH.

I've got a few Ideas but I'd have to see this thing in my hands first. I'd love to mess with there cameras like the kenects mods going off all over the place. could be a cross over mod? could be a terrible waste, but I'll end there I want to wait till there is a PSP and 3DS on the same tabble so I could sound less excited over one specific unit just at this point.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 am

Cool, about the only person who isn't afraid of chopping nintendo's new toy up.
If I had one I would light the buttons with LEDs.
Buuut I don't want to burn money on one just yet.
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:35 am

My local GameStop let me play a 3DS for almost an hour and while I had originally planned on waiting, I'm VERY tempted to buy one now. The 3D effects are really cool, though some products show them off better than others. The retail games I've played haven't blown me away, but there is plenty coming out that I'm interested in. Super Street Fighter IV: 3DS is cool, but I'm not really a huge fan of fighting games. The 3D there is really cool if you're playing in the new camera style (angled almost over the shoulder), but in the regular side view, it doesn't do much for gameplay. My other complaint is how easy they made it to do some of the combos. They just added buttons on the touch screen you can click to instantly do combos and special moves. I only got a brief sample of Pilotwings Resort and while I see what they were trying to do with it, it doesn't live up to the Pilotwings of old. The things that really got my attention were the preloaded games and content. The 3DS I got to play had an OK Go music video on it (in 3D), Face Raiders, and the AR cards. The StreetPass feature is something I had originally overlooked, passing it off as silly, however, Nintendo has made it worthwhile to use. If you can get enough Miis to come to your 3DS through the StreetPass feature, you unlock 3D puzzle pieces of Nintendo characters AND can recruit them as heroes in an RPG that got the unfortunate name in America of "Find Mii." Essentially, your Mii is captured and you have to recruit heroes to save them. It uses very basic RPG mechanics, but is a cool little feature.

tl;dr version - The preloaded stuff is awesome, as is the system itself, but it needs more retail games.

Is there anything that specifically caught anyone's eye or any games you guys are especially looking forward to?
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I want 3D Ocarina of Time, 3D Mario Kart, and an as-yet unannounced Super Mario Galaxy 3D game that I believe they'll introduce at some point. Call it a hunch.

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:20 pm

They said it's not going to be a Galaxy title, per se. They're going back to more of a Super Mario 64 style and they've shown teasers that they may be bringing back the tail/tanuki suit. They also said they're going to be making a 2D platforming Mario (ala New Super Mario Bros.) but with 3D effects. Basically all the first party games that have been announced, I'm looking forward to. Resident Evil: Revelations (the story-based one, not multiplayer), Metal Gear Solid (port or new, whichever they decide), Kingdom Hearts 3DS, and too many others to name. They have such a strong release list yet had such weak launch titles...

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

OOT/MM in 3d would be FANTASTIC :lol:

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 pm

I hope they release the starfox game they dumped during the snes and the one they dumped after starfox64... (not the dinosour planet thing, I hate when they Dokidoki things up)

Mr. Bastey

Post by Mr. Bastey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Just picked one up today and I love it :D I really like the system's design, the shroom pad feels great and I really like how everything looks. I agree that the retail games aren't too impressive yet. I picked it up with Rayman 3D and a Ghost Recon game. Rayman looks and plays very well, Ghost Recon didn't impress me much, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of strategy games, I was expecting an FPS and failed to read the back of the box :facepalm: I love the preloaded software though. Face Raiders made my day, I can't stop laughing at it. The Find Mii thing is simple but kinda fun, and I thought the AR thing was pretty neat too, although I'd like to see more than the archery game and the characters. I was hoping for different games with the character cards, I'm hoping updates provide these (as you can tell I haven't read as much about it). When I could recognize the 3D effect it was pretty sweet. Maybe it's just my eyes but I'm having a hard time focusing and getting it right, oh well. All in all, I'm quite impressed and can't wait for more software.

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm

I also picked one up (yesterday) along with Pilotwings Resort and I'm really enjoying it so far. The 3D bothered me after a short while but as I've been playing more and more, it doesn't bother me as much/at all. Looking forward to some more titles being released!

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 am

3d conkers bfd/goldeneye/mario party
would be too cool

come pay day i'm buying one.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]