newb questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Ansem
newb questions

Post by Ansem » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 am

Ok im new here...and have stumbled upon this hobby I wish to start up. Ive looked around and got some great ideas for a portable n64, but I got a few questions.

To begin with im not "tool savy" never messed with tools before, except maybe a screwdriver. So far I know that I need a dremel, hot glue gun, multimeter, sodering iron, and a clamp. My first question is, are there any other tools I need to make a portable n64? no pictures please as in one video that showed a bunch of tools, a lot of them I didnt even know what they are called.

Next question has to deal with the case. I have decided that the best way for me to make cases is by using premade cases, sure the shape might not be too attractive, but right now im looking just to have something to put it into. My question is, what are the measurements of a case be ideally, without having to trim the board.

Next question is pretty strait forward, what do I need with wires, size, material its made of, etc

I will probally have more questions at a later time after ive done more research concerning batteries and voltages etc.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Re: newb questions

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Tools

Soldering iron
Dremel with cutting, sanding, and polishing bits
Desk vise
multimeter
hot glue gun
desoldering iron
heat gun (optional for basic work)
wire cutters/ strippers
general 'cutters' (small wire cutter things for general purpose cutting that you don't mind abusing, 2 sizes helps)
Tri-wing and gamebit drivers, all sizes (helps a TON for opening stuff)
Full socket, torx, and allen wrench set
any random putty blades and stuff for bondo
power drill/ drill press with MANY bits.
Metal files
wire wrapping tool
anything else you may have/ come across

Case

Just use the hailraizer method, or just drill/ file button holes in the premade case.

Wires

Most connections- 26/28AWG IDE flat cable
Power to/from batteres and charger- 24AWG stranded wire
Small connections- 30AWG kynar wrapping wire

ALL OF THE WIRES ARE COPPER
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

GeckoLink

Post by GeckoLink » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Just saying this is like the best written noob question ever on the fourms

Ansem

Post by Ansem » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks for all the tool info, ill make a copy and start making a shopping list. As for the case part I havent heard of that method, but it wasnt in terms of cutting the case, but what the size of the case should be. The site I want to order from only has 3 different sizes for the case im looking at and I just want to figure out which one would be best, or if I should be looking at other cases on their site.

Looking at the list of tools I can see the use for most of them, but a few ive never heard of, and dont even know how it would be used. The heat gun, and wire wrapping tool.

Also thanks for the compliment in the writing of my previous post.

Ansem

Post by Ansem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 am

Ok....another try, What are the measurements for a case for a n64p, need to know the size so I order the right size case. My case will be simular in design concerning where the cartridge will go with backteria's iNto64 portable. So in figuring of this I need to know the size of the case, thanks :)