Anyone else have trouble desoldering 60 pin connector?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

threedog
Anyone else have trouble desoldering 60 pin connector?

Post by threedog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm trying to desolder the 60 pin cartridge connector from a Power Player NOAC so I can relocate it and make a slim portable, but about half of the pins are held in by a healthy glob of solder on both sides of the PCB. My desoldering iron doesn't seem to be able to melt both halves at once, and I can't get the iron in between the PCB and the plastic part of the card connector. Anyone else run into this issue, and are there any tricks to overcome it? I'd rather just deal with a thicker portable than wreck this rather decent NOAC by getting too aggressive with the removal of the cart connector. Thanks

Quetzalcoatlus
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Anyone else have trouble desoldering 60 pin connector?

Post by Quetzalcoatlus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

I've managed to saw the connector off a few NOACs without damaging the connector or the board, but it's kind of hard. I've also tried cutting the pins with an Xacto knife, which worked, but took forever.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Heat gun, maybe? Worked like a charm for me for desoldering.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

doug104231

Post by doug104231 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 am

since i have no use for the 60pin connectors i dremel through them and desolder every pin individually its much quicker

threedog

Post by threedog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:03 pm

bassmasta wrote:Heat gun, maybe? Worked like a charm for me for desoldering.
Hmm, I might give that a try next time. I've almost finished my portable, decided not to relocate the cart slot. The last hurdle in my way is getting an original NES controller to work with the Power Player board. I'm setting the project aside for a few days so I don't get to frustrated with it, but once I get that bit squared away it should be pretty sweet.