Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on the Gamecube

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Ashen
Re: Wii DVD drive on the Gamecube

Post by Ashen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Sundriver Progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbxXJEhSzy4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 am

This looks really promising, can't wait for more progress.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 am

Finally got around to identifying my Wii drive:

Anyone who is planning on doing this mod please post your drive info here and I will try to keep a list updated in the first post of this thread just in case we run into any incompatible chipsets/drive revisions. I don't think we should run into trouble but you never know. Drive identification can be done here: http://www.wiidrives.com/list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thx SS. Also if you have any GC/Wii modchips to try that are confirmed working with your drive model please try them. So far my Viper Extreme (GC modchip) and D2lite (Wii modchip) have been incompatible running backups. Thx.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Posted a pretty complete guide to this mod with all relevant info contained in one place for those interested here: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=3&t=416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Updated compatibility in first post. Got 2 new "D4(D3S)" revision drives today. What better to do than to start cutting them apart :D :D :D

Semi slimmed Wii drive teaser video (please excuse my ghetto electrical tape holding the disc down, need to install top loading spindle still. Destroyed my PSone screen also, had to resort to video capture software on my netbook ><):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuufqFvj5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

THE DISCOVERY OF THE CENTURY!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jht0PBJVTZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Ashen, Emu_Kidid and everybody else involved with this mod (including myself :-P)

Wiikey fusion updated to 1.5. WiiKey Fusion must be connect to 3.3v to work. That's what the 3.3v line is for on the discdrive pinout like Ashen said. Still some game testing to do. But both games in the video have been played for quite awhile and work 100%!!
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm

This is just amazing :shock:
Now sundrive just needs to make a slightly modded cable and sell a gamecube version of their product.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Also did some more testing and my NTSC cube wil not play PAL backups. Neither will my PAL play NTSC backups. There is a region switch on the fusion but when I flip it to the region of the game it comes up with cannot read disc (standard region error)

So it seems that it is region locked. But who really cares!! So for the dummies PAL cubes with fusion set to PAL only PAL backups. NTSC cubes with fusion set to NTSC only NTSC backups.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Re: Wii DVD + Wiikey Fusion (sd loading) on the Gamecube

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Updated the first post with the correct pinout for DVD+Wiikey mod. While I will always keep the most up to date pinout/pinmatch in the first post I'm just going to link to the mega guide to this mod that I made on the GCforever forums. Its just easier than having to keep edit stuff on a bunch of different forums. :)

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Somebody should seriously just make a little circuit board kit that you can just plug the cables into and do the rest for you.

Kinda like the xbox psu to normal computer psu adaptor

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

It has been found by some people that the pin29 gnd/1.9v switch when using the wiikey may not be needed. Some people have reported that just wiring a switch to ground works for loading the bootloader. Foundmy has screwed me on my wiikey order and i'm still dealing with it so I cannot test this on my setup yet. If you have the wiikey setup please report back with what is working/not working for you.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

I have done some serious testing and have made the following discoveries:

The gamecube 3.4v line can accept a much higher voltage. I have put 3.4v to 5.0v through it and everything works fine. Amp draw is about the same on every voltage I've put through. 0.8A to be exact.

As explained before the 5v line is not needed. The memorycards only use the 3.4v line. I have however not tested a memorycard with a higher voltage. That will be tested soon.

The controller will also work with voltages from 3.4v to 5.0v. You can connect the 5v rumble line to the same controller voltage input. That way when you have a small 3v rumble motor you can have a decent rumble in game.

The wiikey which also uses the 3.4v line can also accept higher voltages. I have also put through 3.4v to 5.0v and it still works properly. This also means you can rewire the 5v line from the disc connector to the 3.3v line on the wiikey. Making it connect without extra wires to the discdrive port. If anybody could make a little pcb they could make things allot easier for people who can't solder that well.

Now the whole idea of all these tests are that you can run the gamecube with one 3.7v battery and one regulator. As the gamecubes 3.4v line can have higher voltages the battery can be connected directly. All that's needed is a regulator to output 1.9v which can handle a 6-7 amp draw. This one for example (PTH04T240F)

I also did some game testing and have found out the that you CAN play region games not of your region. I have connected a PAL gamecube to the wiikey switch in PAL mode with the dipswitches and was able to play allot of USA games. Some games just show up with a black screen after the gamecube logo boot but many games I've tried work. The video output isn't always that good because of the way the PAL gamecube video chip handels the resolution. Some games won't fill the whole screen but hey it's better than not beeing able to play out of region games at all. This will also work on USA games with PAL games as far as I know. That has not been tested though so let's keep it open for now.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:59 pm

So basically feed the 3V line 5V and skip the 5V line and regulate the 1.9V line and don't worry about it?

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I think you mean bridge the 3.4v and 5v line on the gamecube and feed it 3.4v and use a regulator to get 1.9v

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Then why were you testing if the gamecube can run on higher voltages?

Just to see if a slightly over juiced battery won't fry the 3V line?

I still like this idea of just using 3V to run a Gamecube :D But I still need 5V/7.5V/12V to power a screen right? I mean it seems like you would bridge the 3V line and the 5V line and just give everything 5V and go down to 1.9V.