Select Cartridges Have No Video

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hidiosoman
Select Cartridges Have No Video

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Pokemon Snap works fine on my n64p and video works and everything, but the other games that I tried out (Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Mickey Speedway), refuse to give video.

Could this be because of a loose wire on the cartridge slot? Does this mean that different games have video coming from different pins?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Select Cartridges Have No Video

Post by hailrazer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:35 pm

hidiosoman wrote:Pokemon Snap works fine on my n64p and video works and everything, but the other games that I tried out (Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Mickey Speedway), refuse to give video.

Could this be because of a loose wire on the cartridge slot? Does this mean that different games have video coming from different pins?
Yes this can happen from a short. Check every pin carefully to make sure nothing is touching. Then check every wire to make sure they are connected good. Check every pin on the board for shorts also And check the wires going to the board to make sure they aren't accidentally touching a ground pin, they are very close to some pins.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Well that sucks...

I only had Pokemon Snap for the longest time so I thought it worked great, I mounted the board in the case, hooked up everything and was about to close the case when I noticed this...

Gonna have to rip everything out :(

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 am

I use 2 test games: Pokemon snap for dpad checks, and conker's BFD for cart slot reliability, as that game uses more power, memory, and pins than (I think) any other game.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks. Sadly I don't have Conker so I'll just retest it with ALL of my games before I remount everything.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Also, it could be your screen. I had a screen which would run Quarteback Club '98 perfectly fine, but then would only show bits and pieces of star wars pod racing (or whatever it's called). What kind of screen do you have?

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's a 4.3" widescreen screen from ebay. I ran it on my stock n64 with my games, so I ruled that out. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Yopi

Post by Yopi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:17 am

It seems like I've encountered the same problem. Realised it when I had already put everything inside my box and glued it stuck. What is the best way to check for shorts on the cart slot, is it possible to do from the top side? Can there be pins in the slot touching each other (I would think not)?, I've not moved the cart slot at all so that's like it is from the start.