What is your favorite brand of computer?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 am

Grew up using windows, but love Mac. I know both interfaces really good.

===========================
Admin message:
The original OP of this thread was actually a spambot and we all fell for it. (Hopefully nobody clicked the link in its sig...) But the thread turned into worthwhile discussion so it's all good. The spambot post has been deleted, so now this post is at the top.
-bic
Last edited by bicostp on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deleted spambot OP, this is the new OP

GeckoLink

Re: What is your favorite brand of computer?

Post by GeckoLink » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 am

Mac

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 am

I'm an Apple guy as well, but if I needed a PC, Lenovo for sure.

Edit: Lenovo if I needed a laptop. I would never buy a desktop from any brand, I'd build my own (and I have done so). Honestly just about anyone on this site should be able to build a desktop, it's not hard at all.
Last edited by jdmlight on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 am

Wait, are we talking about the OS, or the hardware manufacturer? If the former is true, I'm a Windows guy because that's pretty much all I've ever used. If we're talking about the manufacturer, then I don't really care.

sevin0seven
PSN Username:sevin0seven
360 GamerTag:sevin0seven
Steam ID:sevin0seven

Post by sevin0seven » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 am

Win7/XP - Asus.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 am

Working. I prefer to have a working computer.

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm a PC guy. And Dell is hands down the best in my book. They seldom break down and when they do they aren't impossible to fix.
And Macs are only made by apple, no question about branding? :P
Hackify me cap'n!

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I build my own desktops but have previously owned HP and Dell Desktops and I will say that the HP was trash and the Dell was much better. When it comes down to laptops, I hate them all, but I would prefer Dell or Alienware, call them overpriced, I don't care. Money is no object for me. Still cheaper than Apple products.

Every computer I currently own runs Windows 7 x64 and I will never run anything else. I've owned a Macbook in the past and hated it. Slow piece of expensive plastic and aluminum, also held back by an operating system thats only good for hipsters and people who think its better for creating any sort of multimedia. Don't call me biased, I've owned both - Apple and PC, I'm simply stating my opinions.

Flame away :wink:

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Harshboy wrote:I build my own desktops but have previously owned HP and Dell Desktops and I will say that the HP was trash and the Dell was much better. When it comes down to laptops, I hate them all, but I would prefer Dell or Alienware, call them overpriced, I don't care. Money is no object for me. Still cheaper than Apple products.

Every computer I currently own runs Windows 7 x64 and I will never run anything else. I've owned a Macbook in the past and hated it. Slow piece of expensive plastic and aluminum, also held back by an operating system thats only good for hipsters and people who think its better for creating any sort of multimedia. Don't call me biased, I've owned both - Apple and PC, I'm simply stating my opinions.

Flame away :wink:
As a Mac user, I thank you for at least giving Mac OS X a try before automatically hating it. Seriously.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Sony makes nice windows machines but they're a bit pricey. I'm loving my Acer right now, they arent the best but they aren't garbage either. I'm pretty sure HP/Compaq is the worst, because they break all the time. Apple makes nice stuff, but the OS and prices are by no means practical. I've had Dells as long as I can remember, and they have never given me problems. Their newer lines look great as well. I've heard good things about Lenovo and Asus, but they are a little pricey.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm very fond of HP and Acer. I've two computers from HP and while I've had minor issues with my laptop (charging problem) getting it fixed within the first year was not too hard. My current issues is loose hinges, but that will be fixed in a few weeks. My desktop is also very good, though it required me replacing Vista with a more stable OS.... Ubuntu.
Spoiler:
As for OS, I think it's no secret here that I prefer Linux based OS to Windows. While I can't really give an opinion on Windows 7, I've heard good things about it and if they have fixed a lot of the annoying issues as well the networking pitfalls I'm more then willing to give it a good and fair review. Just haven't gotten to the point of wanting to install it.

As for Mac, yes I do love the look and feel of a Mac. However I feel it can't be justified in the price. As well the fact that Apple has been slow to release security updates in the past year, though this might have recently been amended, I don't like the idea of huge security holes or programming glitches being left un-patched, merely for a company to save face in the mean time.

Please, please if you are going to respond to my opinion on OS, do not do so at the expense of derailing the thread. Please respond to the thread in question and add any other opinions in a way that will not be considered flaming or start an OS war.
-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Laptops: Lenovo, enterprise-class Dell. Both are built really well and are really easy to work on. (Lenovo's x100e/x120e, for example, only has a mere 9 screws between you and both sides of the heatsink-fan assembly, 7 hold the bottom panel on, teo keep the keyboard in place.)

Prebuilt desktops: Enterprise-class Dell. Seriously OptiPlex desktops are some of the easiest to work on I've come across, especially now that they aren't using special snowflake power supplies and drive rails anymore.

Motherboards: Gigabyte, Intel, Foxconn, Asus

RAM: Corsair, Patriot, PNY, Kingston

Power supplies: Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec

Cases: Pretty much everything over $30 is good

Hard drives: Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate, Quantum (RIP)

Monitors: Acer, Dell

Keyboards: Microsoft, Dell, Logitech

Mice: Microsoft, Lenovo, Dell, Logitech

And now for the hate list:
Screw you, PC Chips, ECS, ASRock, CompuHappy (no-name garbage), grocery store consumer grade computers, creaky laptops that feel like they were made by Mattel, VisionTek, Maxtor.

re: OS fanboy slapfight
Spoiler:
Give Windows 7 a try. It's sort of like a cross between Server 2003's kernel and Vista's UI. A lot of the terrible PR flak Vista got was caused by the default too-high UAC paranoia and driver issues, both of which have been fixed for a couple years now. Turn UAC down a notch from the default, update the drivers, install the latest service pack, and Vista is almost as good as 7 is. Vista is to 7 what 2000 was to XP: a deep backend upgrade with a user experience that's still rough around the edges. If you haven't used Windows since XP was the only version in circulation, just forget Vista ever existed and run 7.

You can download a free 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's a standard DVD ISO. Enterprise is equivalent to XP Pro: it can join domains and has filesystem-level encryption but does not come with Media Center.) Pro tip: Run for 9 days without activating, then activate the 90 day license. On the last day before the trial expires, open an elevated command prompt and run "slmgr -rearm", which will reset the activation clock. You can then run for 9 days then activate as before. You can reset the activation clock 3 times, getting you about 10 months of use out of it.

Canonical is going to completely ruin Ubuntu with Unity and all their terrible UI changes. "Let's get rid of GUI elements that have been staples since the Xerox Alto just to be different!" :V I mean jeez it's like they exclusively hire art school hipsters. :facepalm:

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I've had my HP laptop going on 8 years without any kind of problem. I replaced the battery after 5 years and have reinstalled Windows twice, but neither can I blame HP for. It's been a great PC for me.

The HP desktop that we had still longer ago had no major issues (aside from the Windows ME that it came with).

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Prebuilt Windows machines (Disclaimer: I haven't used a prebuilt desktop as a primary computer for awhile, so this is mostly going from slightly older stuff that should still hold true): Dell desktops have been good to me in the past, same for Compaq and HP; I don't really have experience with many other brands of prebuilt desktops. Lenovo laptops are quality. My Acer netbook is solid, but it's pretty much the same as every other netbook out there. My Fujitsu Lifebook was good to me, despite being rather old. Dell laptops are good, as long as you don't get the cheap ones, which are pretty much in my experience garbage.

Apple: Pretty much all of their computers are quality, if pricey for what they are, especially the desktops. I have limited experience with Apple computers.

Desktop Components (I am of the opinion that anyone reading this should be able to throw together a desktop without too many bumps in the road; it's just a good idea compared to prebuilt systems.):
Motherboards: Asus and Gigabyte are the way to go.
RAM: Pretty much anything that works is good; I've used OCZ and Corsair.
CPU: I have Intel, but that depends on the current market and what you're doing.
Case: I like Antec, but there's lots of good stuff out there.
PSU: Seasonic is fantastic, Cooler Master is good too. Avoid OCZ, I got two bad PSU's from them.
Graphics cards: I have a Gigabyte, pretty much anything that isn't no-name garbage should be fine.
Hard drives: I have Seagate, Western Digital, and Samsung drives. No issues with any of them besides the 7200.11 Seagate fiasco, but I will say that their customer service was fantastic about that, and I got my fixed drive back in something like two days, with all of my data intact.
Optical Drives: I have LG and LiteOn drives currently, and they work fine. No specific favorites here by any means.

OS: Windows 7 is great, so is XP. I don't have all that much experience with Vista, but every time I've used it it's been garbage. Just use 7. OS X seems fine, but I've used it very little. Linux is fun if you're not afraid to do some poking around; I have a Linux-based OS on my file server.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 pm

My laptop is ASUS, there isn't really anything that I can complain about (besides the nasty, flashy lid, but thats what you get for getting a gaming laptop).
Small Fujitsu laptops are pretty solid, but their larger ones that I've used aren't quite as good.

I jumped from XP to 7, I'm loving it (going from a PIII to a C2D with a GTX 260m might have helped too :mrgreen: ).