My xbox got 3 red rings after the update, what do i do?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi, I have one of the first xbox's produced, I done the update today, and it froze on the new startup screen. When I rebooted, BAM! :!: :oops: 3 red rings, error code 0102! What does Microsoft think the are doing, killing my beloved xbox? I have just wrote them a very angry letter.

Has anybody else got this?

How can I fix it, do i need to send it into Microsoft?

Surely this is illegal: giving people an update that kills their hardware and then not fixing it for free?

I have opened the xbox to clean it, do you think they will fix it?

Thanks,

I now know what the other people experienced feels like: If I could kill Bill Gates now, I would use a throwing knife.

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Well mate, you're basically screwed if you want Microsoft to fix it. Warranty is probably gone on that sucker and even if it weren't you opening it killed it. You should be able to fix it though. 0102 sucks but is fixable. Do the traditional reflow/ x clamp fix. Don't over do the reflow like you did with a previous box of yours though. No more than 15 seconds on each chip.
Hackify me cap'n!

ssmith43654

Re: My xbox got 3 red rings after the update, what do i do?

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

but i don't think a reflow will work. The console was working fine before the update, absolutely fine, never froze, nothing. The update has definitely cause this, so it must be a software problem, i think its bricked. Because it froze during startup, it failed to finish the update. I have already done the x-clamp fix before it broke. I can believe Microsoft would release a update that breaks the console, thats just mad!

Thanks for the help though, might give a reflow a try, even though i know its the update that broke it!

I will probably just sell it and get a slim, i really had had my fair share of freezes, errors, e65, e68, 0102 0110 and 0310 in my short life and just cant be bothered with another stupid error!

Thanks

Seb Smith

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

It could simply be the error your friend said, coming back from the dead to haunt the console :P

The new software puts more load on the chips than the previous versions, therefore it probably cracked a solderjoint on the GPU.
0102 is one of the most common errors, easily fixed too

give the GPU a reflow, here are a couple of tutorials for different methods:
Oven reflow:
http://llamma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heatgun reflow (with heat sheild and thermocouplings):
http://google.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=159 (yeah yeah..its on H360 but the tut has been made by some of the best)
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:27 am

ah thanks so much for explaining this to me, i understand it now! Maybe the update was just a bit too much stress for the console, and it gave it red rings again. I hope a simple reflow will fix it! Do you know if anybody else with 2006 consoles has successfully updated?

I will get the heatgun today from a friend.

I was going to sell it on ebay, If the reflow doesnt work, will the console be worth less if I fail to fix it and sell it?

Thanks for all the help, I am feeling really annoyed, because of this 3 rrod on this xbox, and last night my xbox laptop continually froze, and wouldn't read any of my games which I wanted to play!

Thanks again,

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 am

i have a 2006 box with the newest dash, no problems in terms of hardware.
when it was first installed it was corrupt, easily fixed though.

freezing is pre-red ring

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:06 am

how did you fix yours? a reflow and did it get error 0102?

also the laptop only freezes when i put a game in, it then says open try, as if no game is in, i will clean the reading laser tonight and connections

thanks

seb smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

the corupt file was only messing with the software, it would come up with a message saying the file was corupt and it would revert back to the previous dash, as if it was never updated. was fixed by clearing the cache.

no 0102
i recently fixed a 0102 with a simple reflow, worked fine (was also a 2006 box) i did some stress testing with the halo3 boot screen as it puts massive amounts of load on the GPU.

with the freezing laptop, when it says no disc can you still navigate through the dash?
if so its not frozen, cleaning the lazer should fix it, if not replace the laser

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 am

ok, looks more promising for the old xbox, will give a reflow a try this weekend! I will post the results here, and I might make a tutorial and put it on youtube if the reflow works!

as for the laptop, I have been having issues ever since I tried to power the cpu fan from it(it didnt work and gave me e64) when I unplugged it sometimes worked and sometimes didnt. So I reckon there is a 5v regulator for the 5v for that dvd drive and I have partially broken the regulator by pulling too much current from it.

If I were to hook the dvd 5v line straight to the 5v unswitched, would it work? Would it be too power/current for the drive and break it? I need to get this issue fixed by tomorrow, as I am bringing it into school, and I cant have it giving me errors all the time. If i play a game for a long period of time, it works fine, but if I switch it of and on again, it either gives me e65 or freezes when I try and play the game, suggesting the drive isn't getting enough power, as the regulator has been on a long time and has got hot?

Also, i tried putting rechargeable batteries into my controller last night, and they didnt work? I suspect this is because normal ones are 1.5v and rechargeable are only 1.2v?

As always, Thanks for being very helpful!

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:21 am

ssmith43654 wrote:If I were to hook the dvd 5v line straight to the 5v unswitched, would it work? Would it be too power/current for the drive and break it?
it should work but i would leave it as it is, try disconnecting the rgulator and wiring it to these pins (if you can)
[image from Chezwik]
red is 5v and yellow is 12v. blue being ground
ssmith43654 wrote:Also, i tried putting rechargeable batteries into my controller last night, and they didnt work? I suspect this is because normal ones are 1.5v and rechargeable are only 1.2v?
just checked my controllers and they all have 1.2v batteries. they all work fine.
what happens when you use regular batteries, it works? if so just use them.
if not;
<>have you modified the controller at all? check the pcb for shorts
<>make sure the batteries are put in the right way and that both ends are touching the metal contacts.
if all the above fails try wrapping the batteries in duct tape

im looking into the rechargeable problem..strange
ssmith43654 wrote:As always, Thanks for being very helpful!
any time, its my job :P

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 am

hi, just got home from school, i tried the rechargeable batteries again, I now know what I did wrong, instead of putting them on my fast charger, i put them on my trickle charger, and I only had them on for an hour or so, so they weren't charged up enough, silly me, sorry about that.

I am going to try to connect the 5v to the one you suggested in a minute, hope it works, will post up the results!

cant wait to bring it into school tomorrow, everybody is looking forward to actually seeing it!

thanks

seb smith

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm

hi, just soldered the 5v line for the dvd drive to the 5v unswitched line straight from the power brick. It works perfectly, so far I have had no errors at all, and it seems to be working fine! Must have been a dodgy/broken regulator on the motherboard! Thanks for the help! Tonight I am respraying the screen cover with black, and I have also put epoxy resin on the plastic nexto the hinges for extra strength and secured the dvd drive screws in place with glue.

If there is anything you need me to help you with, just tell me, I'd be willing to help, as you have helped me so much!

Thanks

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm

excellent!
ssmith43654 wrote:If there is anything you need me to help you with, just tell me, I'd be willing to help, as you have helped me so
Ill remember that :P

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 am

hi, i did a reflow today, and it changes from a 0102 to a 0022 error which means the console thinks there is something wring with the gpu or it is overheating. I then did a second refow, but it has still got 0022 error. What should I do with the xbox - sell it for parts, or try fixing it, and how would I fix it?

This xbox is really annoying, should have not bothered updating and sell it straight away!

Thanks

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Try reflowing the (H)ANA chip, and as always check USB ports for faults, missing components etc.
you have a 2006..no bga style (H)ANA.
check for damage around the GPU, psu port