Fun things to do with a spare xbox 360!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
Fun things to do with a spare xbox 360!

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi, I just went down south to see a friends, and he gave me his 3rrod xbox. After the 4 hour long drive, i turned it on back home and it worked fine!(although i didnt tell him). When i cracked the box open, i found one very large dust ball nexto the cpu heatsink. What must have happened was when it was in the car, the vibrations shook the dust of and let the heatsink actually breath again! So far i have done the x-clamo fix and added a/s 5 thermal paste. Here are my questions:

I want this xbox to run very quietly yet get no rrod, so what fans should I use? I thought of having a different fan at the back, one on the extended gpu heatsink and one next the cpu heatsink, but which fans should i get that are silent (i dont care about fancy shining led crap)

Is there a difference between talismoon whisper and talismoon whisper legacy? Or which rear fans should I use?

What small fans should i use for the gpu extended heatsink and cpu, i dont want to buy the expensive core cooler v2, just some good, silent fan that does the job nicely.

Should I add a heatsink to the chips (the one with the silver circle and the h ana chip?

there is little rubber pads on all the ram block, should I leave these?

Thanks in advance!

I will post another thread about modding the hitachi 59 with ixtreme to play back-uped games....

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: Fun things to do with a spare xbox 360!

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Basically the whisper legacy is meant to be top-of-the-line, quieter better blahblahblah
but I have had repairs come to me with talismoon fans installed.
Legacy if you can afford it.

For the replacement core coolers go to either a pc store or electronics store and buy a couple of 40mm thin fans, then wire them to whatever voltage you like.

Adding extra VGA style heatsinks onto the southbridge and (H)ANA chips is a good idea, make sure they fit under the DVD drive!

Leave the rubber RAM pads, they transfer some heat to the chassis

if you havnt already, get a air pressure gun (or similar) and clean out all the dust from the fans, fan shroud and mobo.

http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_ ... ooler.html
if you can afford it consider on of those
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm

One of the best and easiest things you can do it add a divider in the fan shroud so one fan pulls air through the CPU heatsink and the other through the GPU heatsink. Normally most of the air goes through the CPU heatsink because it is easier.

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 pm

vskid wrote:One of the best and easiest things you can do it add a divider in the fan shroud so one fan pulls air through the CPU heatsink and the other through the GPU heatsink. Normally most of the air goes through the CPU heatsink because it is easier.
there are mixed results with that, some say it helps some say it does nothing.
have you done this? can you get some temp readings?

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 am

thanks for all the help!

I am still wondering: is the talismoon whisper louder than the legacy and is it louder than stock fans (that some people have said)

also that gpu heatsink looks very nice, but i cannot afford it as i cannot find a supplier in the uk and postage is very high from the us so the whole think would coast around £70. That would be a beast to have though!

Thanks

Seb Smith

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 am

going off what the packaging says, the whisper is supposedly quieter, don't have a legacy package with me atm.
i did also remember hearing that they are louder than the stock fans, not necessarily a bad thing!

my personal 360 is wired to a 12v/5vstandby switch, it sounds like a jet engine but i am yet to overheat after 5 years of gaming

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 am

thanks for the advice, just bought an whisper fan. I then went downstairs to plug the console into my ethernet and do the update. it downloaded the update, and upon the new startup screen it froze. I then left it for 10 minutes and turned it of then on again. When i turned it on again, gues what happened: it got the RED RING OF DEATH ERROR CODE 0102!!!!!

It was definitely the new update, as i had it running fine an hour ago, happily playing some music on the old dashboard!

I hat microsoft soo much for killing my perfectly fine console with an update, they should come here straight away and fix it for me. I cannot send it back to them, because i opened it up to remove the dust so it worked, and now THIS! even though i have opened it up, i have done no mods at all, so they should fix it right?

I am just about to send them an extremely angry letter, i bet this has happened to other people with the old consoles!

How can i fix it? i tried holding in the sync button on startup with no luck! This is so annoying, an official update from them, and they have killed my console!

Help much appreciated!

Thanks

Seb Smith