A market for portables?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

MrAfterFx
Portablizer
Steam ID:MrAfterFx
A market for portables?

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 am

A topic that isn't so discussed anymore but I have heard many people say that there is not a market for portables anymore. I find this to be a little funny because aside from the hobby of building them I was able to sell mine first day to make another one and made a 500$ profit. What do you guys think? Do you think people can still profit from making handhelds?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: A market for portables?

Post by hailrazer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 am

Easily as long as it looks professional and is a more modern system.

The older Nes/snes/atari etc are a little bit harder to sell and make a profit.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 am

Agreed hailrazer. Your guide made my portable look pretty decent and I had a fun time playing it for a whole 30 minutes!
But I remember this from MBB, the case is what sells a portable I mean anyone can make one but you have to consider taking time on it and doing your best. That is why marshallh can sell a portable fast.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 am

do you guys usually sell them on here, or ebay?
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

aesthetics is 90% of the perceived value of a portable.

Make it look sharp, pay attention to detail and you'll be ahead of everybody else.

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 pm

I posted mine on racketboy, Benheck, Bacteria's site and on GameTZ. But not ebay because I was looking for a quick sell.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Don't forget /v/ :P

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Yep, a ton of people who would want to play on these things. Keep the Cost to your self down. Invest on the quality. Make it a joy to build and, Marshals the man, it will sell. I sold those Freaking Ipod Glasses before I left for ontario. Some Girl in oalk bay put them on we powered them up, she saw the visuals. then money was forked into my hands... I was trying to sell the thing, that helped too. Hell you'd be surprised at what you can do till your sure your going to do it. See if I was just going to rely on my verbal skills or my posts in the trading area, well I would have been out of luck. If you have some thing, you know it works, you can show people it's cool then some one will probably buy it if you want to let it leave your hands.

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 pm

mako321 wrote:Don't forget /v/ :P
Okay I had a big thing written about you mako but I edited this post. Spamming me on other sites makes you look weak. Make a portable then talk to me...

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:09 pm

I just know that I saw you posting it there, sorry.

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Your forgiven lol. But I dont do that to other people that is why I was like what? I had it in /g/ and everyone loved it. But I am not cool with SS and have been trying to get him to email me. If you can have him email me that would be great!

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Make it a joy to build and, Marshals the man, it will sell.
I agree cennar I have fun building them and if I can make money off of it then the better! But other than what I do personally others do it to make a profit. Don't get me wrong I will not sell one for the most asked for offer of a high 200$ but wont ask for too much.

Just getting this out in the open:

No matter what site you are from we all do console modding. It is a fun hobby not a TMZ show!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 pm

As far as a market for portables, there is the ability to sell them every once in awhile, and it does not even have to look super good, so the 90% thing sounds about right to me.

Anyways, Ben owns the real market.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrAfterFx
Portablizer

Post by MrAfterFx » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Agreed SS. Ben could ask any price for his handhelds and can make that easy. I think the best way to make money on handhelds would be commissions though. It will allow the buyer to fully customize everything from the case to the batteries ect.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 am

Market for portables; your answer is right there. You look people right on and say "isn't this thing sweet," feed them the portable. essentially Ben got that going and took the steps to make it a purposeful part of what he likes doing. if that's your example do a good job, get it shown around.

For me, my next one will be selling soon after completion, the excitement helps. I'm so stoked I have enough room to work on a portable again...

The example I like are the people around me who are always building things. visiting the randoms and seeing people filling there 3 room apartments with war hammer toys they collect, to the friends of mine burred with insane art, collecting artists, body shop workers putting parts into there Audis. Artist and engineers love to collect peaces of engineering and art. There's always a market.