Looking for Information on Laptop Screen Connection.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Evockzi
Looking for Information on Laptop Screen Connection.

Post by Evockzi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Now not sure if this is anyones forte, but I'll just say the end goal on this particular case of the build.

To hook a Laptop screen via its normal connection (rewired ) to a M-ATX desktop graphics card.

Now I know this causes immediate problems since they are obviously not designed to go with one another, but I was wondeirng if it is possible to.

I haven't been able to find out:

-What kind of connection the screen actually uses and if its just a rewired version of a conventional connection it self like DVI.

-And how to rewire it if I can be or can be converted into a conventional connection.

-Voltage specs and needs of the LCD.

Though I need to make it clear, since out of the countless threads on countless forums, I get everyone going... go make a barebones... etc...

This is a planned build, ON a M-ATX case, attaching a laptop to it to function with its peripherals, but on a desktop set up.

In a nutshell, but is far more complex then that.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Re: Looking for Information on Laptop Screen Connection.

Post by Tibia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Laptop screens tend to be pretty specific to the laptop. I doubt very much that you're going to find one that will just require a bit of rewiring. There are converter kits available that let you use a laptop LCD with some other input, but I've got no idea how much they cost or how well they work. It definitely is not just a rearranged VGA or DVI connection, though.

You would be far better off investing in a regular LCD monitor. Once you crack it open, you'll be able to wire right to your graphics card. Depending on the individual monitor's power requirements, you might even be able to ditch its power supply board and run it off your desktop power supply. You can get some fairly small monitors, down to 15" and 17" that would be the size of a laptop, and it's going to be far far far easier than trying to work out the proprietary screen to work on a standard connection.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Evockzi

Post by Evockzi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

alright, Ya I was considering doing that, looks like I'll have to try and figure out "types" of connections that exist so I can sort through that

Now just speculating laptops with different connection types but same monitor sizes will still typically fit or?

Obviously in most cases I know it would be avoided since obviously not going to work with that laptop but since I'm wiring it into a graphics card, which I was thinking of crossfiring and turning 1 card backwards using PCI-E strips so it isn't ugly.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 am

Evockzi wrote:Now just speculating laptops with different connection types but same monitor sizes will still typically fit or?
Not by a long shot. I've got a pair of Thinkpads, very similar. The screens are the exact same size, the bottoms are even in the same type of casing. But you open them up, and the screens are entirely different. Different type of connector, different number of wires, everything. There is no easy way to make a laptop screen work on a different computer.

I'm suggesting you forget laptop screens entirely, if that wasn't clear. You can get something like this for under $100 if you shop around. It's going to work on the exact same type of outputs as a desktop graphics card. No converter, no special programing. You can wire it up with the regular cords, OR you can remove the jacks and wire it directly.

Evockzi

Post by Evockzi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Ok, so last hit at laptops in general, not looking to replace the screen though.

Is there any possibility to convert/rewire the connection on any laptop?

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:43 pm

For the third time, NO.

Laptops will not work like that. It is a special connection. Forget it entirely. It will not work.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Yes you can use laptop screens but you need a board specially made to control it. :

This controller is up to 1440x900 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-R-RM5251 ... 4156286f22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This controller is for the 1920x1080 lcd's :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-R-RM3451 ... 3f06aa4f0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Dang, they finally got cheap. Last I'd looked into them, they were still over a hundred. I see they're still only compatible with certain types, though.

Evockzi

Post by Evockzi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm

So I plug in certain Laptop connection into that to convert it correct?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 am

Evockzi wrote:So I plug in certain Laptop connection into that to convert it correct?
You email the seller with your laptop screen model #. He tells you if he can program the controller and make the lvds cable for it. If he can you buy the product. The seller makes the proper cables and programs the controller and sends it all to you. You will get it in 4-6 weeks. You then plug in the controller lvds cable to the laptop screen along with the inverter cable. Then you plug the pc vga cable or dvi cable into the controller along with power and you have a working screen.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Evockzi

Post by Evockzi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

ya that sounds amazing, and right on the money with what I'm looking for, but how does the interface out work? I noticed it was a DVI interface on one of them at least, does that mean I supply it a DVI connection from a video source and it will recognize it as a monitor essentially?

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 am

The only thing to watch out for with DVI is whether you need DVI-D or DVI-A. If you have DVI-I, that works with either version. :) (Side note: DVI-A is also compatible with VGA, and DVI-D is also (mostly) compatible with VGA.)

You can find more info on the different flavors of DVI at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface, if you're particularly curious.