Can't find LEDs for PSOne screen mod

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Zero X. Diamond
Can't find LEDs for PSOne screen mod

Post by Zero X. Diamond » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

So I've had the parts for a portable NES sitting in a box in my room for well over a month now, just waiting for me to assemble them. There's one problem, however: 606-CMD204UWC from Mouser Inc., the T1 size white LED needed for the screen mod, is discontinued. I ordered a lot of five of them from Source Research, Inc. but they sent me 3200 mcd bulbs instead of the 1000 mcd bulbs I need. All searches that I've made seem to indicate that for whatever stupid reason, nobody else in the entire world makes a 3mm white LED that outputs 1000 mcd. What are my options here? I'm out of ideas and it's making me crazy.

EDIT: I'm trying to do this as it is described in Ben's book, if that's any help to anyone. I already posted about this (and a few other parts that I managed to track down replacements for) in the forum for the book, but barely anybody's even looked at it and nobody's given me any help, so I figured I'd bring my request to here.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Re: Can't find LEDs for PSOne screen mod

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't really understand why you can't use the 3200mcd LEDs instead of the 1000mcd... They shouldn't be too bright or anything like that. Are they the wrong size? If so you can get 3mm White LEDs from ebay easily...

Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm

You really don't think they'll be too bright? My concern is that the screen would be so bright that it'd get washed out to the point where I wouldn't be able to see anything. If that's not a problem, these should work, as they're practically identical other than the increased mcd output.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeah they should be fine. Worst case scenario is you put them in your screen and test it and you decide it's too bright, but even then all you would need to do is swap them out for the dimmer ones, but I really don't think they will be too bright.