Starting of the Cheztendo64

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Chezwik
PSN Username:Itsumofataride
360 GamerTag:Chezwik74
Starting of the Cheztendo64

Post by Chezwik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Alright, I believe that I am finally ready to partake in this little adventure, and through it i hope to find a new hobby. I have done different mods in the past, from adding buttons to make controllers a little more easy to use (I have really small hands) to my xbox which can't get much more modded without going liquid cooled or mod chip(no thanks). I have been researching this through the benheck.com forums for quite some time, and i believe i have the sufficiant tools and knowledge for the job. If anyone has any ideas that could be incorporated that they have thought up and just haven't wanted to try them for risk of damaging their stuff, let me know, i don't really mind all that much if i ruin something for the sake of furthering knowledge. Any advice is always welcome as well

Tools:
15w/40w adjustable soldering station
flux
tin
Rosin core solder
copper braid
knives/scissors
dremal

plan on making a vacuum-form platform

parts on their way or in my possession:
TI PTH08080WAZ Step-down Regulator
capacitors
resistors
PSP analog stick
Wire

Parts plan on getting within next week
N64 console
3rd Party Controller
Sony PSX screen

If there is anything that i have forgotten, please let me know. I have the book created that tells about how to make for the nes, snes, and psx.

Some rough designs
Attachments
12301_1233600370052_1530473871_30550293_3821042_n.jpg
12301_1233600370052_1530473871_30550293_3821042_n.jpg (17.25KiB)Viewed 8968 times
12301_1233600290050_1530473871_30550292_3629064_n.jpg
12301_1233600290050_1530473871_30550292_3629064_n.jpg (13.9KiB)Viewed 8968 times
He who does things in wrong order
If i can't RROD my Xbox once a week, I'm doing it wrong

Current Projects -
Cheztendo64 - In design Phase

Spoiler:
BOO

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Re: Starting of the Cheztendo64

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm

I love you for not making a mspaint mockup.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks. I need to really see about how things would fit so i just made a quick 3d blender rending. It helped me to figure out spacing a little bit more. Hopefully it will look close to the same size, and come Monday, i should be getting my parts so i can start working on it and see how well it will fit into the idea i have in my head

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Looks like you have a good grasp of things so far.

As for the portable, you will most likely find the grips on each side are totally unnecessary and just make the portable bigger, heavier, and more awkward to hold.

I would suggest building it without them.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:13 am

I'll definitely look into it. I plan on having a couple of different case builds so i can experiment with what I like more. Just dry fit the components into the case before making it official. I'll try a couple of different layouts, such as the one above, or the more common way horizontal without the grips. The one thing i forgot to ask in my first post is where do you guys get tact switches? none of the electronics stores in my area have any that are that small.

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Just got my check from work and my "shopping list" for this project is ready to be purchased. My pth08080 is in the mail, and, barring the weather, should be here within the next two days.

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, it looks like i get to change my design. The one store that sells the psx screen here in Colorado doesn't anymore. Luckily, i had a backup plan, changing it from a hand-held to a laptop. a small one. still plan on vacuum forming a plastic mold around it, but i plan on using an old psp case that i have, and will be using a 7" screen. I got my PTH08080 today from TI, and have everything except for a 1k8 ohm resister. i found some on digikey, but i was wondering which wattage is better for this kind of project. Also, i no longer need to know where to get the rubber top tact switches i see everyone using. There prolly won't be any work for me tomorrow due to the weather (I work for a roofing company) so i should get some progress done and pics in by tomorrow night.

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Well, i start working on it in a couple of hours, but i did finish a quick rendering of it. I know its not great, but it will give yall an idea of what it will look like. I forgot to include a build in controller holder for port 1 that will be a 3rd party due to its slimmer design. the screen is a 7" from a dvd player extended screen (for vehicles). luckily, this one actually accepts composite video so it should work just fine.
cheztendo briefcase.png
cheztendo briefcase.png (86.94KiB)Viewed 8794 times
not actual colors, just something to show the different parts

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

Chezwik

Post by Chezwik » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 am

Took apart the N64 and hooked it up to the tv to make sure i din't fry it, nad it looks like i did. Time to get a new one if i can't figure out whats wrong with it. Lights up, just doesn't show anything on the TV

Current Projects -

Spoiler:
BOO

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Chezwik wrote:Took apart the N64 and hooked it up to the tv to make sure i din't fry it, nad it looks like i did. Time to get a new one if i can't figure out whats wrong with it. Lights up, just doesn't show anything on the TV

Have the same problem with mine. :(

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Theres a big chance that your N64 is sleeping.
Un-plug everything from it and just let it sit for a day or two, then test it again.
Also try to remove any dirt/solder drops from the motherboard. (sometimes little bits of solder can get stuck between pins or something and you don't want that.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:08 pm

argelfraster wrote:Theres a big chance that your N64 is sleeping.
Un-plug everything from it and just let it sit for a day or two, then test it again.
Also try to remove any dirt/solder drops from the motherboard. (sometimes little bits of solder can get stuck between pins or something and you don't want that.
N64's don't "sleep". The power supply will sometimes re-set itself and "sleep" but not the system itself.

If he's using the oem power supply, then he can unplug it and let it sit for a day or so and try again. If he's not using the oem power supply, then the N64 is most likely fried.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance