Few PS3 Questions -> Case, Buttons, Hard Drive

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

DasXero
PSN Username:DasXero
Few PS3 Questions -> Case, Buttons, Hard Drive

Post by DasXero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:41 am

I know it's been awhile since my last post (for those that followed my Xero64 project, it will continue, but I am 100% starting over, and buying tools, systems, screens, etc before starting. I don't have many of the tools needed, and I kept on screwing up.)

Info:
-I have a FAT 60gig CECHA01 launch PS3,
-It has never been opened, warranty seal intact, (Have took the HDD out a few times though)
-Still original 60gb hard drive (new 250gig hard drive coming Monday)

Few questions.

1) So, I'm thinking about opening this thing up, and cleaning it out, VERY THOROUGHLY!

Where I can buy replacement heat pads for the ram and such? GOOD QUALITY!
I'm also probably gonna clean off the processors till there shining and use Arctic Silver 5. Is there anything better than Arctic Silver 5? I don't think there is, but no harm in asking
Should I clean off the fan, or just completely replace it?
Should I also clean the Blu-Ray reader?
Is it worth use rubbing alcohol, and cleaning off any dirt or w/e left on the board?

2) Is there any custom PS3 cases you can buy? I'm getting sick the the plain piano black. (I don't mind what they look like, just wondering if there is any.) I figured there probably will be a big boom in custom cases, now that the PS3 private keys are out there.

3) Is there any mod that will let you use buttons like the Slim PS3 instead of the touch-sensitive ones? I freaking love those buttons (dunno why)

4) Does anyone off-hand have the specs for the Slim and the Fat PS3's hard drives? I would like to know if the hard drive I'm getting is faster/better or not.
I'm getting a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD2500BEKT from Newegg tomorrow.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136279

Any other advice that would include how to keep it cooler, or have more air flow, etc. would be much appreciated.
"If Ben Heck can do it, I sure as hell can't"
~DasXero
~-~-~~Beginner Modder~~-~-~
Projects:
<----Xero64---->
Progress:
---->STARTING OVER 100%!

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: Few PS3 Questions -> Case, Buttons, Hard Drive

Post by humakabula1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 pm

DasXero wrote:Where I can buy replacement heat pads for the ram and such? GOOD QUALITY!
I'm also probably gonna clean off the processors till there shining and use Arctic Silver 5. Is there anything better than Arctic Silver 5? I don't think there is, but no harm in asking
Should I clean off the fan, or just completely replace it?
Should I also clean the Blu-Ray reader?
Is it worth use rubbing alcohol, and cleaning off any dirt or w/e left on the board?
If you want to go the best in terms of thermal pads the copper ones are the way to go, little pricey though ($2 a pop)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Copper-Pad-Shim- ... 1e60bcac15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arctic silver is basically the best there is

If you want to go the extra step with the fan talismoon makes a replacement (better airflow etc.)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Talismoon-Whispe ... 3cb3502c8b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasXero wrote:2) Is there any custom PS3 cases you can buy? I'm getting sick the the plain piano black. (I don't mind what they look like, just wondering if there is any.) I figured there probably will be a big boom in custom cases, now that the PS3 private keys are out there.
You cant buy ready-made ps3 fat cases.

Clear slim case:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PS3-Slim-model-C ... 4aa7850994
skull slim mod:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SCREAMING-SKULL- ... 4155c6b083
DasXero wrote:3) Is there any mod that will let you use buttons like the Slim PS3 instead of the touch-sensitive ones? I freaking love those buttons (dunno why)
no there isn't, sorry
DasXero wrote:4) Does anyone off-hand have the specs for the Slim and the Fat PS3's hard drives? I would like to know if the hard drive I'm getting is faster/better or not.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features ... ed-matter/
DasXero wrote:Any other advice that would include how to keep it cooler, or have more air flow, etc. would be much appreciated.
dont keep it in entertainment units (airflow in those is terrible)
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

DasXero
PSN Username:DasXero

Post by DasXero » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 am

THANK YOU! That was a very, very helpful post!

The reason I asked bout all that stuff for the ps3 is, it's never been cleaned out or anything. So I figured I would have the ps3 last another couple years. So one of these days when I have money flowing, I'm going to clean out the ps3, than replace the pads and the fan for extra measure.

It's funny you mention the entertainment system thing. When the ps3 moved from my dads house to my moms, I had just build a entertainment system. I realized the ps3 got really got so I tore off the back of it, now it's pretty happy!
"If Ben Heck can do it, I sure as hell can't"
~DasXero
~-~-~~Beginner Modder~~-~-~
Projects:
<----Xero64---->
Progress:
---->STARTING OVER 100%!

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:58 am

Its what I do 8)

The whole entertainment cabinet thing is something most people don't know, they just jam their consoles up in the back corner, not a good idea.
That goes double for xbox's :P
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete