3.5" TFT

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Snipeye
3.5" TFT

Post by Snipeye » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm having a problem with my screen...

It's this screen:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0680367262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(That particular auction, too.)

Anyway, I had a friend come over who had a working n64 so I could test my stuff today, and at first the screen didn't start up at all, I was kinda worried - it turned out the batteries just weren't charged (what I was running it off of) so I plugged in the charger, the screen waited 10 seconds then started showing the video from his n64 - the game was Star Wars Episode 1 Racing, and it wouldn't show the start where it displayed info about the expansion pak, and the logos of the producers - it was just black, but it did show the first cutscene view it showed of the pod racing under an arch or tunnel or something, then when it should have gone to the main menu, it went black again. Plugging it into my normal TV it looked fine, everything worked. Even at maximum brightness, I got the same thing - didn't test it with any other games, though.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of voltage or something - the batteries weren't charged very much, etc, etc, or maybe it was just that game, but has anybody had a problem like this with said screen?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: 3.5" TFT

Post by hailrazer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:25 am

Without properly charged batteries that is what happens.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Try out your screen on another system. For some reason, I'm not sure at all why, hopefully someone can tell us, some ebay 3.5 screens don't like to work with certain consoles. I had the same problem with one of my 3.5 inch screens. I bought them for Nomad mods, and when I was testing the screen it would only show the 2 player split screen demo of Sonic 2. Every other time, be it when it should have shown menus or gameplay, it was just a black screen like you mentioned on yours. I tested it again on other systems, and while I had the same problem on n64, NES and Gamecube worked perfectly.

I don't think it was a battery problem either; I was testing fully charged with 2 seperate batteries, one 7.4v, the other at 9v.

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Hmm... that could end up being the case... I may just have to swap with somebody who's doing a mod with a console it will work with.

Another thing I though it could potentially be - it supposedly has automatic swapover between PAL and NTSC, so that MIGHT be the problem. I'll look for somewhere to directly interject the ntsc.

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:22 am

I'm having a similar issue with a 3.5 that I bought off ebay. While it does bother me, it isn't really preventing any gameplay. (Even though I love watching intros!)