Xbox 360... in an iMac G3?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

maxuhmilian
360 GamerTag:MaX uh MiiLiiAN
Xbox 360... in an iMac G3?

Post by maxuhmilian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey guys.

So I'm attempting my first major mod/hack by putting an old Xbox 360 [formerly RROD'd which I fixed] into one of my old tray loader iMac G3s.

So my plan is:

Gut the inside of the iMac.
Replace the PSU with a surge protector/power strip.
Replace the CRT with an LCD monitor, remove the bezel, plug into the power strip, and turn it on.
Uncase the 360, and find some way to "shove" it into the case of the iMac. Attach the monitor via the VGA cables, and plug that into the 360.
Reroute the power button, to the front button on the iMac.
Hack the DVD drive, to fit into the tray loader of the iMac.
Wire up the speakers.
Leave an external hook up (HDMI/Optical Audio), in case of competitive hook up.
Revel in my glory.

So now for some advice.

I know the hard drive mod can be done, because it's been done before. And I'm 99% sure that the 360 will fit into the case, one way or another. But, I need help finding an LCD that will fit the existing framework. I don't mind having to create another bezel if there are gaps, but I just can't seem to find one small enough.

Will I need to add in a fan system to keep this baby cool?

Any other advice/tips I'd greatly appreciate. :D

dcwhat
PSN Username:DcWHaT07

Re: Xbox 360... in an iMac G3?

Post by dcwhat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:34 pm

well first off great idea and good luck, remember thats a lot of soldering. So if your an amateur solder then i would get a test board and practice. it could work but if you dont follow ben heck show, draw everything out scan it measure it, make sure it will fit, is it ample cooling? all comes in to play. So good luck look forward to seeing your future post.

maxuhmilian

Post by maxuhmilian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm

How is that significant soldering? I'm not trying to flame here :)

I plan on doing a build similar to the PS3 in the Pelican case, and just remove the enclosure on the 360 and the monitor, but use all the power cables. I was hoping to be able to just stuff it all in, for lack of better words. I think fitting the LCD will be the most labor intensive, because I'll have to make plastic semi circles to fit the curvature of the CRT.

I'm a novice modder/hacker. But I've built computers and stuff like that. :s

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 am

maxuhmilian wrote:How is that significant soldering? I'm not trying to flame here :)

I plan on doing a build similar to the PS3 in the Pelican case, and just remove the enclosure on the 360 and the monitor, but use all the power cables. I was hoping to be able to just stuff it all in, for lack of better words. I think fitting the LCD will be the most labor intensive, because I'll have to make plastic semi circles to fit the curvature of the CRT.

I'm a novice modder/hacker. But I've built computers and stuff like that. :s
The LCD is definitely the hardest part. A 15" works for me, but it goes just to the edge of the inner plastic bezel, so it'll require a fairly extensive rework of the front (translucent plastic) bezel. If you can find a 14" it would be an easier mod. I bought a 15" Sylvania from a member here which is working perfectly aside from the reworking of the outer bezel (which I plan on putting off as long as possible :lol: ).

Oh, here, this is useful:
iMac G3 disassembly guide

I have a dead 360 and a ripped apart iMac if you'd like me to test-fit it for you before you get started.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

maxuhmilian

Post by maxuhmilian » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

If you could do a fit test, that'd be great. Could you post some pictures of what you mean by reworking the bezel? My local hardware store can custom cut plexiglass, and I also have a close family friend that does a lot of wood working that is willing to help out.

How difficult is it to discharge the CRT? I'm studying electricity now in Physics, so I'm kind of excited to get some hopefully "hands off :P" practice. I'm going to do this twice, one to just replace the innards with a Mac Mini. I plan on again, leaving all the connections on the inside of the casing.

What are your thoughts on just plugging it all into a power strip on the inside of the body? And then threading the cable through the power slot that is already there?

Thanks for your help!

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 am

maxuhmilian wrote:If you could do a fit test, that'd be great. Could you post some pictures of what you mean by reworking the bezel? My local hardware store can custom cut plexiglass, and I also have a close family friend that does a lot of wood working that is willing to help out.

How difficult is it to discharge the CRT? I'm studying electricity now in Physics, so I'm kind of excited to get some hopefully "hands off :P" practice. I'm going to do this twice, one to just replace the innards with a Mac Mini. I plan on again, leaving all the connections on the inside of the casing.

What are your thoughts on just plugging it all into a power strip on the inside of the body? And then threading the cable through the power slot that is already there?

Thanks for your help!
1. Bezel. I have a 15" LCD fitted to mine. A picture is worth 1000 words, so here's 2000:
Inner gray bezel:

With outer translucent bezel:
As you can see, a 15" monitor fits perfectly inside the inner bezel, but the outer bezel cuts off a bit of the edges of the screen. If you used a 14" screen there might be a small gap, but you wouldn't have to modify the outer bezel.

2. The Xbox 360 motherboard would fit, but it would be a tight squeeze to get it in there.

3. Discharging the CRT is easy. You just need to take a screwdriver that's connected to the ground of the chassis (I used an alligator clip between the metal part of the screwdriver and a random metal part on the iMac) and shove it under the rubber thing on top of the CRT. On page 79 of the manual I posted earlier you can see a picture of it, it's the thing with a large red wire running to it. In the middle of that rubber thing is a terminal that you'll be touching with your screwdriver. BE SURE TO HOLD THE PLASTIC END OF YOUR SCREWDRIVER OR YOU WILL GET A SHOCK!

4. You could use a power strip on the inside of the case, that would certainly work. It's not how I would do it because I'm a perfectionist, (I would solder all of the wires together and hide them neatly), but it'd work fine.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

maxuhmilian

Post by maxuhmilian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

If I was to solder all the wires together, wouldn't I have to include an external PSU? Thanks for the shot of the motherboard. :D

Instead of using alligator clips, could I use... my jump cables? xD I think I've seen it done like that before, but I assume the bulkiness could be somewhat dangerous.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm

maxuhmilian wrote:If I was to solder all the wires together, wouldn't I have to include an external PSU? Thanks for the shot of the motherboard. :D

Instead of using alligator clips, could I use... my jump cables? xD I think I've seen it done like that before, but I assume the bulkiness could be somewhat dangerous.
Oh no, what I meant is that I'd solder the AC power wires together and have it go to a 3-prong jack on the rear. It accomplishes the same thing as having a power strip inside the case.

You could use jumper cables, but I would think that it'd be rather bulky and obnoxious. :P If you don't have alligator clips, just use a random spare piece of wire. All you need to do is make a complete circuit between the case ground and the anode on top of the CRT without killing yourself with the high voltage.
(Image)

maxuhmilian

Post by maxuhmilian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Huzzah! I found some alligator clips in a drawer in my garage.

When you say solder the AC cables together, what exactly do you mean? Sorry to be a noob :P I've done a lot of software mods, and I'm finally growing some balls to start doing the hardware. :)

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 am

maxuhmilian wrote:Huzzah! I found some alligator clips in a drawer in my garage.

When you say solder the AC cables together, what exactly do you mean? Sorry to be a noob :P I've done a lot of software mods, and I'm finally growing some balls to start doing the hardware. :)
Literally cut off the plug, strip off the insulation, and put the wires together to make a connection. I would then cover the exposed part with heat shrink tubing.

The way that question was phrased makes me wonder if I should link this to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering

maxuhmilian

Post by maxuhmilian » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I understand the basics of soldering, I just don't know what kind of solder you would do, to bring them together.

Something like this: http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/pd ... SOLDER.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will it retain a high enough current/voltage to power both of them?

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 am

maxuhmilian wrote:I understand the basics of soldering, I just don't know what kind of solder you would do, to bring them together.

Something like this: http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/pd ... SOLDER.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will it retain a high enough current/voltage to power both of them?
It's the thickness of the wire that determines the amount of current/voltage. The solder is just there to keep the wires together. (in other words, you should twist the wires together so that they're physically making contact, then just use the solder to hold it there)