PNES Mark-2A ...that's right, I made another one!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PNES Mark-2A ...that's right, I made another one!

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:41 am

Was hoping this would be one of those "weekend projekts" but I got snarfed on that one when my screen broke...had to get another one lol.

(Nintendo word 'shopped in, it will be attached at a later date after I get my clear coat enamel...)
(volume on the thing was at full power when I took this pic...that intro song ROCKS)

But yeah, here it is, my 3rd Portable NES. Started on it to take up some time one day, as the CDX projekt is on the back burner until I get some new parts (I brokeded mah lazur :( ).

This model P-NES is very similar to my Mark 2 original (even uses the guts of it lol). It retains the overall layout of its predecessor, so it's still a Mark2....but, I fixed the major design flaws of the original, hence the A. This model is about a quarter inch thicker and wider than it's progenitor, and also features a revised front layout, with the speaker placed on the other side, and has recycled Retrobit buttons for start and select.

One flaw that was fixed: the cart slot. The original didn't have any buffer between the electronics and the cart, so it was a pain the doopa to put in games. The solution, I just added a wall. It's MUCH nicer :)

As can bee seen here, it's a bit thicker than the shell of its original...so it all fits properly (not added gaps).

As for the screen, it suffered from a "I don't wanna run on anything less than 7.5v" thing. Little weenie. So I fixed that little bugger by figuring out where it's power regulator is...and bypassing it! HA! I WIN!

So yeah. That makes 3 portables now...and I think that makes me a portablizer extraordinaire woot! :D

--oh and for those who are wondering, I didn't make a build log for this cause I basically built it in a day, and didn't bother taking many pics...Too bad I didn't get it done in a day lol. Paint takes a day to dry properly between coats, and when I broke the screen, I had to wait a bit to get a new one (thanx wallydawg!).

Only real flaw on this thing is how bright the screen is...everything looks off :wtf:

Anybody know a quick fix for that?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Re: PNES Mark-2A ...that's right, I made another one!

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Lookin' good, Billy Ray.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 am

Good Job Lorne. Don't worry about the lack of comments, you'll get a bunch of them in a couple years. :wink:

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:55 am

Wow nice!
How long did this take you to build?

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:32 pm

If you don't count the days of waiting for things to arrive, about 9-10 hours overall.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Neat! Will it be making an appearance at MGC?

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Of course :)

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:06 am

Always been a fan of your P-nes, and you know what they say, two P-nes's are better than one.

;)

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, I see that your pnes is bigger than the other one which is pictured. ;) Hello boys!