Best way to fix 3 Red Rings?(YET AGAIN)(URGENT)(RAM ERROR)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
Best way to fix 3 Red Rings?(YET AGAIN)(URGENT)(RAM ERROR)

Post by ssmith43654 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello, as all of you probably know, I am making an xbox 360 laptop.

My first xbox overheated (a jasper) so i had to get a new second hand one( a hdmi non jasper, elite) , in the next xbox its dvd drive broke so I had to get that repaired. Once the dvd drive was repaired It then worked. Today as I was testing it it froze a few times before finally showing 3RROD. The error code is 0110 which is to do with the ram chips. They cant have got hot at all because it froze after about 10 seconds of turning it on. (I have a temp monitor connected to it, and I have also tried re-installing the gpu heatsink and applying pressure to ram chips)
Do I fix this by:

Using a blowtorch like other people have done?(someone on youtube did this)?

Using a heat gun to only re flow the ram modules and put a little flux in-between the chips to help the solder flow?

Wrap a towel around it and use a hair-dryer to heat up the ram modules.(someone on youtube did this)?

Put the motherboard on the cooker and fry it? (someone on youtube did this)

What do I need to do?

Is it hard to fix a 0110 and is there any chance of fixing it?

I got it all on video so here is me testing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohLxuLlVJk

It would be really nice if you could help me as this is my second xbox that has failed on me while building the xbox laptop.

Thanks

Seb Smith

This is unbelievably anoying :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wtf: :( :( :( :( Anyone else had any luck fixing 0110 problems?

Note the really loud beeping in the video at the start is just my temperature monitor and its supposed to do that!

Because it gradually froze more then stopped working it makes me think the connection on one of the ram modules slowly came loose, so would a quick reflow jsu fix it and what is the bast way to do it?

Any Ideas?
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

ssmith43654

Re: Best way to fix 3 Red Rings?(YET AGAIN)(URGENT)(RAM ERROR)

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:45 am

i am not sure if this post is working, i got a reply message but when i looked at the forum there were no posts, strange?

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 am

You posted the same thread 5 times. In one of them someone replied that it was annoying that you did that.

Apparently a Mod erased all the repeat posts including the one with a reply.

As for the answer to your original question. The towel trick is probably the easiest and safest method. I personally wouldn't try any of the other methods.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:00 am

dont you think the heatgun would work, sorry for posting so many threads.

how do I do the towel trick?

Thanks

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

ssmith43654 wrote:dont you think the heatgun would work, sorry for posting so many threads.

Thanks
The heat gun is VERY difficult to do because the gun gets so hot and you can overheat parts very easily.

Google the towel method, there are guides everywhere.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 am

ssmith43654 wrote:dont you think the heatgun would work, sorry for posting so many threads.

Thanks
The heat gun will work fine if you have a steady hand.
I just fixed two consoles with 0110 with heatgun.
Do the top side first, 10 seconds on all 4 sets of chips (cpu, gpu, ram) 3 times. Wait 15 min, do the same on the bottom side. Wait 15 min. then do top side again. this reflow method has never failed me.
Dont move the board at all once it's hot.
Dont hit caps or go over them at all with the heat gun. They have a tendancy to explode when they're too hot :P

DO NOT do the towel trick. You'll be asking for advice on how to repair your further broken xbox again in a few days...
Hackify me cap'n!

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am

ok, thanks,

is the towel trick any different for 0110 error than normally overheating the whole system

also note i am making an xbox 360 laptop, so i would only be able to wrap the motherboard in the towel, would it still work like this?

could I use a blow torch or put it on the oven like others have done, and will this damage the xbox?

thanks again!

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 am

rickylago2 wrote:

Thanks
The heat gun will work fine if you have a steady hand.
I just fixed two consoles with 0110 with heatgun.
Do the top side first, 10 seconds on all 4 sets of chips (cpu, gpu, ram) 3 times. Wait 15 min, do the same on the bottom side. Wait 15 min. then do top side again. this reflow method has never failed me.
Dont move the board at all once it's hot.
Dont hit caps or go over them at all with the heat gun. They have a tendancy to explode when they're too hot :P

DO NOT do the towel trick. You'll be asking for advice on how to repair your further broken xbox again in a few days...
thanks a lot, that sounds a really good method, I will try it and tell you whether it has worked or not once I get hold of a heatgun from somebody

also, should i put a little flux inbetween the chips before I heat to make the solder flow better?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:11 pm

rickylago2 wrote:
Are you saying that for the 0110 error? Because for the cpu/gpu error, the towel trick works fine for a lot of people.
My Portable Systems:

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I think the heat gun method will be a safer, and more permanent fix, what settings do I use for the heatgun and what heatgun do you use (and how many watts is it) just so i know i will get the right temperature when I heatgun it.

Thanks

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:01 am

SUCCESS i heatgunned the ram chips,

preheat 1min on bottom(increasing heat gradually)

heat for 4mins on top increasing heat gradually to full heat, hold 4-5cm away from board in fast circle actions. I then let mine to cool for 15mins before testing it!

Proof of it will be uploaded to youtube sometime today (got it all on video)

Thanks for all your advice, I also spred lots of flux around the ram chips before and when I had heated it up completely i tested the solder was molten by poking it with a knife, while it was hot I also applied a little pressure to all the ram chips on the top to re-connect the solder joints.

Keep looking at this thread as I will be posting a youtube link to what I did and a tutorial for others!

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Here is the video as promised of me fixing it
Thanks for all the advice chaps!

Seb Smith

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 am

a few days after I tested it after the reflow, today i turned it on and it gave me 3rrod, but this time with the error code 0031, this indicates the ram chips are broken.

any way to fix one?
anyone have a jasper motherboard I could buy of them?

this is soooooooooo anoying :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

thanks
seb smith

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Kay didn't see this before. You heated the chips for waaaaaaay too long
Hackify me cap'n!

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 am

so do you think i have damaged the chips by heating it too much and now i have got the 0031 becuase of that

i am just about to do another reflow today

if the chips are broken would it be possible to replace them?