Lightweight 14" screen?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Muniosi
Lightweight 14" screen?

Post by Muniosi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey,
Need a 14" screen for a Gamecube laptop I'm making. It needs to have composite input, and be no more than 1.5" thick. Anyone know of any screen that fits this criteria?

dragonhead

Re: Lightweight 14" screen?

Post by dragonhead » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Muniosi wrote:Hey,
Need a 14" screen for a Gamecube laptop I'm making. It needs to have composite input, and be no more than 1.5" thick. Anyone know of any screen that fits this criteria?
yeah you can find it HERE

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Sorry, dragonhead, but that wasn't very helpful. What I'm asking for are specific links.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Muniosi wrote:Sorry, dragonhead, but that wasn't very helpful. What I'm asking for are specific links.
i found plenty of stuff in that link. maybe you should look again :wink:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:15 am

dragonhead wrote:
Muniosi wrote:Sorry, dragonhead, but that wasn't very helpful. What I'm asking for are specific links.
i found plenty of stuff in that link. maybe you should look again :wink:
These 'let me google that for you' posts are getting out of hand. The OP had a very specific criteria list that is not easy to find with Google. If you think the question is stupid, just ignore it, please.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Were you looking for widescreen or 4:3? Also, what price range were you looking at?

Here is one that is close to your criteria at Tigerdirect:
15 inch TV with composite, 2.5" thick - it's probably a lot thinner than 2.5" once you get rid of the case.

The other thing you could consider, since VGA monitors such as this one are easier to find, is a box like this: Composite and S-video to VGA adapter at Monoprice. Something like that would allow you to use a much easier-to-find VGA monitor. (not to mention that VGA-only monitors are usually a lot cheaper)
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks, jdmlight! I was looking for something as cheap as I can get. I don't know if I need widescreen or normal. The case I'm using for the Gamecube Laptop is a 17X12" briefcase. That'd be widescreen, right?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:11 am

Muniosi wrote:Thanks, jdmlight! I was looking for something as cheap as I can get. I don't know if I need widescreen or normal. The case I'm using for the Gamecube Laptop is a 17X12" briefcase. That'd be widescreen, right?
That's actually closer to 4:3.

A 20" 4:3 screen is 16"x12". Obviously you need to have some space for the bezel around the monitor though, so you can't fit a 20" screen (the dimensions I quoted are just for the visible area of the screen). Given that you get the biggest monitor that you can fit in your case, you would have a gap on the left/right with a 4:3 monitor.

An 18" widescreen monitor is about 16"x9". It would be pretty likely that a stripped down monitor would have only a half-inch bezel on each side, so you could probably fit an 18" widescreen monitor. You would have a gap on the top/bottom with a widescreen monitor.

Neither of these estimations take in to account anything else you might like on the lid, such as speakers. (to the left/right of the screen, you could also put these on the base of the laptop)

It sounds to me like either a widescreen or 4:3 monitor would work in your case, so it's personal preference - do most of the Gamecube games you play have a widescreen mode? That should help you make a decision.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.