Analog Stick Swap

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Buck
Analog Stick Swap

Post by Buck » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I want to change my n64 analog stick with this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3373
And I could do it but I just need to know if it will work and if you could show me a pinout. :)

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Analog Stick Swap

Post by blaze3927 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:10 pm

http://kylejw.heliohost.org/
buy that
read the docs,
should be good from there
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Buck

Post by Buck » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Do I have to use the translator board? Can't I solder the pins from the stick i'm buying to the correct ones on the motherboard of the n64 controller?

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Don't do what Blaze said (no offense blaze)

Buy this.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/produ ... pair-Part/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You literally unplug the old joystick and plug this one in. It works like a dream, and uses the same type of joystick as a Gamecube controller, but has the look of an original N64 joystick.

EDIT: I just realized your link was a PSP nub. You could possibly use this still, I'm not exactly sure if you could replace the joystick on the board with a psp nub. I misread your post, I thought you were just wanting to swap for a better joystick, I didn't realize your link was specifically for a psp nub.

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:12 am

Pkmnjunky7 wrote:Don't do what Blaze said (no offense blaze)

Buy this.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/produ ... pair-Part/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You literally unplug the old joystick and plug this one in. It works like a dream, and uses the same type of joystick as a Gamecube controller, but has the look of an original N64 joystick.

EDIT: I just realized your link was a PSP nub. You could possibly use this still, I'm not exactly sure if you could replace the joystick on the board with a psp nub. I misread your post, I thought you were just wanting to swap for a better joystick, I didn't realize your link was specifically for a psp nub.
:facepalm:
just edit your entire post to be:

"edit: woops my bad, didnt read the post properly."

should save save some confusion

and that joystick hasn't been confirmed to use potentiometers yet either, so please read the posts and check your info.
Buck wrote:Do I have to use the translator board? Can't I solder the pins from the stick i'm buying to the correct ones on the motherboard of the n64 controller?
Yes you do, or you can use another type of translation boards using attiny24's. but its easier to buy kyles board.
the official n64 controller needs a translation to work with an analog stick that utilizes the superior potentiometers of ps1/2/3/xbox/psp analog sticks.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 am

Blaze, I'm not an idiot.

That joystick IS confirmed to use a pot. I have personally confirmed this, If you'd like pictures I will post some for you.

Also, I'm not adding to the confusion, The joystick I posted does the same thing as the translator board you posted, AND it's cheaper. I'm not trying to start a fight, just don't treat me like I dont know what I'm talking about, I simply misunderstood the original post.

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 am

I never implied you don't know what your talking about, but yes i did insinuate that you are an idiot, apologies.
What I am implying %100 is that the stick you are talking about has nothing to do what the original poster is asking.
he wanted to use a psp stick in a n64 controller, that miraculous stick originally posted on nfgames in know manner relates to using a psp stick in an n64.
I would very much like to see pictures as to the innards of that stick aswell, i would appreciate it greatly. However a few members (of smash world forums) that have bought it have scathed at its accuracy. However i cannot back this up personally as these people are quite picky with their analog sticks.

SO what I was asking, admittedly quite rudely, is that you remove your first post in this thread,
No not because you claimed i was wrong, or that your info is useless.
but because you were wrong, and the information is nearly useless, in this threads context.

Yes if the original poster had asked how to get a gc/psx style stick in his analog controller, you would have been %100 right to post that information with your opinion.

understand now?

and once again, sorry for insinuating your an idiot, I have low tolerance these past few nights.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

blaze3927 wrote:I never implied you don't know what your talking about, but yes i did insinuate that you are an idiot, apologies.
What I am implying %100 is that the stick you are talking about has nothing to do what the original poster is asking.
he wanted to use a psp stick in a n64 controller, that miraculous stick originally posted on nfgames in know manner relates to using a psp stick in an n64.
I would very much like to see pictures as to the innards of that stick aswell, i would appreciate it greatly. However a few members (of smash world forums) that have bought it have scathed at its accuracy. However i cannot back this up personally as these people are quite picky with their analog sticks.

SO what I was asking, admittedly quite rudely, is that you remove your first post in this thread,
No not because you claimed i was wrong, or that your info is useless.
but because you were wrong, and the information is nearly useless, in this threads context.

Yes if the original poster had asked how to get a gc/psx style stick in his analog controller, you would have been %100 right to post that information with your opinion.

understand now?

and once again, sorry for insinuating your an idiot, I have low tolerance these past few nights.
This is what I don't understand, Isn't the link you posted just a translator board that allows the use of a gc/psx stick on an original n64 controller? That's exactly what the joystick i posted is. I guess i wasnt very clear about my reasoning. The stick I linked to (which i will post pictures of later) is a pot and a small translator pcb, so it essentially works the same way as the link you were providing. (unless of course I've misunderstood something here) I posted it, because I thought it was possible to replace a gamecube pot (I feel like I've seen a thread about that somewhere) with a PSP nub. Either way, sorry if I confused anyone, and sorry if I was defensive towards you blaze.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 am

I think the original post was all about using a psp analog stick in a n64 controller because the gamecube stick is too big and I think that blaze was trying to offer a circuit that would convert the psp analog stick to a n64 format where as pkmnjunky7's analog stick is cheaper, it is also much bigger and I don't think that was what he was going for.

MarioOwnsAll

Buck

Post by Buck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 am

I just like the feel of psp analog sticks and want to use it on n64.
Buck

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 am

Enough apologies :P

now,

Translator board:
converts the N64's analog stick input to work with standard potentiometers.

Replacement analog stick with POtentiometers (unsure):
converts the signal to pot's and supplys the stick.

The translator board converts the signal to potentiometers, which work with the equivalent resistance of a psp analog stick.

The Repalcement analog stick:
could use any resistance between 1.5Kohms- 200Kohms
and will probably only work with an exact analog stick resistance that isnt equal to that of a psp