Wireless N64 controller?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

frontispiece
Re: Wireless N64 controller?

Post by frontispiece » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey Mario -

a) I think I've solved the TX/RX switching and clock speeds with the setup I'm planning (see above pic of my plan). I finallly got the transceivers in the mail so I'll let you know how it goes.

b) Thanks for the links - I'm fairly sure the third one's going to be the most useful, as making a chip that can mimic being a controller and respond to the N64's requests requires knowing every command that the N64 might send, which I think is the toughest part of the project.

So yeah, if you wouldn't mind seeing if you can find your old stuff kicking around, that'd be great! Thanks.

Also, does anyone know of a nice, clean list of commands that the N64 sends to the controller (e.g. 0x01, etc.), with accompanying responses that the controller sends back (e.g. button status words)?

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 pm

BTW: You can buy 3rd party wireless controllers.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

I would dig out my old stuff, but there's nothing to get out. :lol: All I did was buy the Xbee transceivers, I never got further than that.

EDIT: Whoops, other Mario. :P

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm relatively confused. This seems interesting to me. Does just using a RF transciever, then just throwing the data line through it work? Because I found this which is less expensive than an Xbee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-Newest-2-4Ghz-n ... 501wt_1242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm relatively confused. This seems interesting to me. Does just using a RF transciever, then just throwing the data line through it work? Because I found this which is less expensive than an Xbee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-Newest-2-4Ghz-n ... 501wt_1242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am

You need to use SPI to communicate with that module.

If you want to go that route you'd need a MCU on each end of the wireless chain to decode the controller protocol and send it in a form the wireless transceivers understand.

frontispiece

Post by frontispiece » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 am

Yeah good point marshallh, the reason why it's likely NOT possible even if you have a transparent link (ie data in transmitter's pin = data out the receiver's pin) is twofold:

1) The N64 & Controller talk back and forth at 250 kbits/s and the transceivers can't switch between send/receive mode fast enough to keep up
2) Signal attenuation (loss) might make the N64 freeze, as it thinks you've unplugged the controller

Also, for that particular model you picked, like marshallh said, you need a uController (link to tutorial).

Anyone have any luck finding a list of N64->Controller commands?

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:23 am

Off the top of my head I can only remember the 0-3 and 0xFF. I have seen a powerpoint that had a list of the commands but those are the only ones you should need to implement.

MarioReincarnate

Post by MarioReincarnate » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 pm

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs15 ... point1.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lists 7 n64 controller commands

And I'm no expert but I'm not entirely sold on your circuit design. How do the rf modules know what state the other module is in? The N64 could be sending "start rumble" and the controller could be sending button presses, so both rf modules would be transmitting and neither message would get through. If the controller was always transmitting and the N64 was always listening, you could probably get pretty good button response with your design, but obviously never rumble or mem pak reading/writing.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Just getting the button data efficiently would be pretty sweet, so it's still worth a shot. But I still think I'll need to buy two different rx/tx pairs at different frequencies to get it 100% correct.

But yeah I'm married so STILL no promises :wink:

conker

Post by conker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 am

is it possible to wire the n64 controller out to a usb out port? like what is done here with DIN 5 pin connectors http://web.archive.org/web/200410121730 ... ns/n64.htm
under the interfacing the controller section
controller to usb is doable then just hook up some bluetooth magic on either end and bam.

micro

Post by micro » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to let you know that I made a wireless N64 controller: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnmfaILCHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works great, but no rumble-/memory pak support.
The mod is really easy to do if you use the case of a rumble pak. Then you can use 2 normal AAA batteries, so there's no need for a rechargeable lithium battery, 3.3V voltage regulator, etc.

I'm working on an instruction but it will take a while..

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Post by Kumimono » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:34 am

Seems (relatively) simple. Neat, at the least. Wondering which of the controllers would the best all-round controller... N64's has lots of buttons, atleast. :wtf:

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Very, very nice. Glad to see a wireless controller finally done.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Best first post EVER. Definitely awaiting detailed instructions and a parts list!

micro

Post by micro » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:44 am

Thank you, thank you :mrgreen:
Instructions including schematics and hex files are online now (see video description).