Painting case?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
Painting case?

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 am

Hey guys. About 4 years ago, someone spilt orange paint on my SNES.

Ofcourse, its like IMPOSSIBLE to get that stuff off. (Without using paintthinner, but paint thinner would damage the plastic, wouldnt it?)

So, I gotta repaint this. I'm gonna use krylon fusion.. butttt

3 things!

1) If I'm gonna paint it WITHOUT taking it apart (because I don't have the screws, and the pen trick doesnt wanna work.). What precautions should I take?

2) I know that when spray painting, you gotta sand it first and such. But, how far away should I stand when spray painting it?

3) What color(s) should I paint it? :)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Painting case?

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:Hey guys. About 4 years ago, someone spilt orange paint on my SNES.

Ofcourse, its like IMPOSSIBLE to get that stuff off. (Without using paintthinner, but paint thinner would damage the plastic, wouldnt it?)

So, I gotta repaint this. I'm gonna use krylon fusion.. butttt

3 things!

1) If I'm gonna paint it WITHOUT taking it apart (because I don't have the screws, and the pen trick doesnt wanna work.). What precautions should I take?

2) I know that when spray painting, you gotta sand it first and such. But, how far away should I stand when spray painting it?

3) What color(s) should I paint it? :)
1. It will be almost impossible to get it to look good without taking it apart. But if you just can't then you will need to paint the whole thing. That way you can try to get under the reset/power buttons and in all the corners.

2. No need to pre-sand with krylon fusion. Just clean it real good first.

3. Any color as long as it is flat and not glossy.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Not if you wear gloves while playing! :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am

1. Masking tape. Lots of it.

2. 6-8 inches, I think? It says on the can. Make sure you do multiple light coats. And remember - light means LIGHT! Don't overdo it on any one coat. It takes more time, but your end result will be better if you just spray a light mist several times rather than getting hasty and coating it on thick. Since you aren't taking it apart, just make sure you thoroughly prepare the surface by cleaning it with rubbing alcohol all over. Scrub that sucker with q-tips!

3. Why are you asking us? What's your favorite color?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Life of Brian wrote:What is your favorite color?
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 am

HotDog-Cart wrote: Ofcourse, its like IMPOSSIBLE to get that stuff off. (Without using paintthinner, but paint thinner would damage the plastic, wouldnt it?)
When I painted my NES controller I had to strip it once and I used DOT-3 brake fluid. It didn't hurt it. If you have some around you may that that.