Biohazzrd's Xbox Portable

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm

I've been looking around and I want to make an xbox portable. I want to follow the xbox micro mod as much as possible as it is about the right size (without batteries and a screen or course) I need to know how I would have to rig up my batteries and whether I should make a laptop or a handheld... I will be updating as my build progresses

Thank you for your help

-BioHazzrd
If at first you don't succeed... Call it version 0.5

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Biohazzrd's Xbox Portable

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:26 pm

You do know the Xbox requires a huge amount of power.

Any batteries you use will be large/expensive and run the Xbox for around 20-45 minutes.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Yes but I figure that I can use 12v without using the power supply to transform the 120v from the wall... I know it can be done I've seen a couple before... I have also thought about installing a 2.5 hdd or a cf card if that is possible

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Make a laptop... That's what I'm trying to do... I'd even sell what I've done so far... I'm tired of the project. I have it running on 12v already

Sent from my Alltel HTC Hero using Tapatalk

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:16 pm

I was thinking mostly on the laptop idea (controlls are much nicer to use when you aren't holding the whole console) ...how did you get yours down to 12v? I've herd of a couple ways by using an ATX power supply... Could you send be a link to a good tutorial or you could always tell be what you have done... I would buy yours for pure simplicity but I want to build the whole thing by myself... I have it totally disassembled as of now and all I need is the case (planning on vaccum forming it,) the screen (I have a ps1 monitor but I am looking for an 8"+ DVD player with A/V input... 5" is too small for the xbox,) and the batteries. I have an 80GB 2.5" for it but I plan on getting a 250GB or a 320GB for Christmas... If anyone has any info to help me I would be greatly appreciated... Once I get molding I will start a build log so expect that within the week

Thank for all your help

-BioHazzrd

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 pm

You can use a picopsu to replace the xbox psu. There is a atx adaptor you can buy. Its in my thread I believe...

Sent from my Alltel HTC Hero using Tapatalk

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

An 80 gig should be sufficient, at least initially. You may need to spend that money elsewhere.

And yes, you can use CF cards, but they suffer from slower speeds and smaller sizes than laptop hard drives.

Edit: also, with regard to the screen, you may wish to hold off on deciding the size until you know the final dimensions of the bottom; otherwise, you may wish you had used a larger one. Wouldn't hurt to wait until you had the xbox running on 12v first too.

Edit 2: if you can, find a screen that accepts component in - you should use the highest video quality possible. Actually, I saw on the XBox Scene forums that it's possible to output VGA, and using that with a small PC monitor would be the best quality, if harder to do.

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I was looking around and I found that I can either use a picoATX with an adapter for the xbox (that I cannot find) or I can use the M1 ATX... They have a new M2 ATX but I am unsure if it works also... I will keep digging around... Battery wise I know you can buy batteries and rig them into consoles (there is a good tut on here but I can't find it) I need help as to how I would do that with my "XBook" (as you called it verry cool name hope I can come up with one as cool) or should I rig up a couple laptop batteries... I'm clueless... My plan is that I can plug it into the wall and play + charge it at the same time... I guess the next thing to look at is the screen so I can find out how much volts + amps it needs... As always all help is appreciated

-BioHazzrd

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 pm

eagle5953 wrote:An 80 gig should be sufficient, at least initially. You may need to spend that money elsewhere.

Edit: also, with regard to the screen, you may wish to hold off on deciding the size until you know the final dimensions of the bottom; otherwise, you may wish you had used a larger one. Wouldn't hurt to wait until you had the xbox running on 12v first too.

Edit 2: if you can, find a screen that accepts component in - you should use the highest video quality possible. Actually, I saw on the XBox Scene forums that it's possible to output VGA, and using that with a small PC monitor would be the best quality, if harder to do.
80Gb would do perfect but as I will not have the DVD drive installed on the portable I would like to have all my games backed up onto it as well as music and videos
Yea I'm already hating the small 8" idea I think I'm shooting for the 12"-15" range (multi player would be much nicer)
I'm a "Virgin" at creating portable consoles I've modded many before but never done a portable and while that would be higher quality I don't think it would be worth the hassle unless I could find a monitor for cheap it probably won't happen thanks for the info and keep it coming!

-BioHazzrd

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Here's the adaptor
http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=PSU-Converter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That should help you a lot

I used a 2.5" laptop 250GB HDD

Also don't bother with the VGA mod. I think games have to support it and it's just too hard IMHO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:08 am

I was looking at that adapter and they are not in stock anymore (don't think they ever will be again) is there schematics floating around so I can build my own?

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 am

I think just the board is on stock right? I had to sodder my own wires.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Last edited by hackmodford on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Nope I was looking at this earlier and they are out of stock (don't think they sell enough to keep making them) thanks anyway. I will try to find the schematics somewhere or one on eBay

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm

http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1 ... y_Pinouts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there be your pin out. Buy an ATX power extender or 24 pin to 20 pin adapter and carve it up some. Will do the same thing.

http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?fus ... roduct=303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - case forming plastic
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - AV pinout
http://www.madhacker.org/xboxsvid.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - more AV stuff

You will also either need to flash the TSOP or install a modchip. This is the best (but not only) way to eliminate the DVD drive.

to reduce power consumption I recommend using a Ziff drive. 1.8" is tiny tiny, and they take very little power. In a portable this is quite important, and you can usually get one on ebay from an ipod or zune. I also recommend getting the 1.8 to 3.5 adapter so that it actually works :P

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=4027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - one of the few places still selling iceberqs

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Okay sorry I havent updated in a while I've been busy... I have my Xbox softmodded running Avalaunch (best looking dash in my opinion I'm sad that it's been basically dropped) I would use XBMC but I've always used Avalaunch... Anywho I have a v1.0 xbox and now I have a 250GB 2.5" HDD all I need is a ATA to SATA converter... I plan to take the 12v for the HDD down to 5 or 6 (can't remember which one it is as I'm to lazy to go look at it) I think it will be able to run everything with less voltage okay if I could have any input on that it would be appreciated (I'll test it soon enough so it doesn't really matter) I am also planning on upgrading the RAM (possibly the CPU also as I want to run Linux on it so it is actually an XBox and a Laptop) how does power management go after these two mods?

I would use a 1.8" drive but I don't need to have my HDD that small and I already have one (my 2.5 will fit perfectly sitting on the board it is still smaller then the capacitors)

Thank you all help is appreciated!

-BioHazzrd