Noob is making a portable PS2

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Odin
Noob is making a portable PS2

Post by Odin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:00 am

Hi, I'm kinda new to making portables (in fact, I never made one) and I want to build a portable PS2.

Now there will probably be someone saying, "o no a newb should not start with a ps2 you better make a NES first."
But I really want a PS2, not a NES. :/

I have read Ben's story of how he made his PS2p, but it's not really detailed, so it's kinda hard to follow. :(

My problem there is that I'm not too familiar with electronics, other than the little things I have learned in school.
So I was planning to use a N64 case, since I have one here, and 8 Mignon NiMH batteries (7 x 1.2 Volts) as the energy source. The PS2 slim and a 8" PStwo screen by Joytech should come by mail soon.
The PS2 apparently takes 8.5 Volts in, so would 8.4 V work?

Would be nice if someone's wanting to help me. ;)
And I probably forgot a lot of information, so feel free o ask me about stuff. :)
Sorry if my descriptions sound weird at times, but English is not my first language. :/

gamax92

Re: Noob is making a portable PS2

Post by gamax92 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 am

Notice how most remotes that want 3v can run of of 2v. the 8.4v should be fine. whats the amperage of both adapters.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Odin

Post by Odin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 am

I don't really know what you mean by remotes.
And if by adapters you mean the console's and the screen's, I don't know.
As I said, I'm still waiting for them to be shipped.
Sorry if my descriptions sound weird at times, but English is not my first language. :/

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:37 am

He was using it as an example and by adapters I think he means the batteries, I could be wrong though.
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

Odin

Post by Odin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Okay, the PS2 and the screen are here and I already opened the PS2.
It's the newer type of PS2 slim, so the power supply is inside the case and outputs 7.5 V, 4.5 A.
But the screen was made for the older PS2 slim, so it takes 8.5 V.
And now here comes the part I need help with:
I was planning to use 7 1.2 V NiMH batteries, each storing 2600mAH. So if I feed the PS2 with 7 of those batteries, will I fry it or will it work fine? Also, I can't see the amperage of those batteries. Do I need to measure it and get the right resisitors and stuff? Also, there are 4 output cables coming from the power supply. Two white ones and two black ones, and I don't know what these mean.
I hope someone is familiar with that kind of PS2 and is willing to help me.:)

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I am not sure exactly why there are four cables from the power supply, but I do know two are positive and two are ground. I just combined the two cables into one for each set and it runs fine. I do not know the max voltage the newest slims can run off, but 8.4v sounds like it is pushing it. You'd save a lot of time and hassle by just using a psone screen, which takes 7.2v.

Odin

Post by Odin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 am

I really was trying to get a PSOne screen, but I couldn't find one. German Amazon website had none available. :(
What I possibly need to try is to make the 8.5V screen run with 7.2V.

And I also have difficulties with the controller. :/
Does anyone know what cable (colour) goes to what pin on the motherboard?

EDIT: I still need to know it I will fry my PS2 if I just connect 6 batteries (=7.2V) to it, since I don't know about the amperage...

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:18 pm

by remote i mean TV remote. and by adapters i mead the ps2 adapter amperage and the batteries amperage.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Odin

Post by Odin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm

gamax92 wrote:by remote i mean TV remote. and by adapters i mead the ps2 adapter amperage and the batteries amperage.
If batteries had any amperage to output, I wouldn't ask people if it's healthy for the PS2 just to connect batteries to it.

But as I said, the power supply outputs 7.5V, 4.5A.
Concerning the batteries: It doesn't say what amperage they have (but they do store 2600mAh each)... well, I suppose batteries have no actual amperage and just give what the device needs?
But I don't know too much about that stuff. :/

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm

well it will try to provide the correct amperage but if it is too low. it wont power.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Odin

Post by Odin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:54 pm

The screen seems to run fine with 7.2V only. :)
So I guess the batteries aren't much of a problem anymore. But now, I have problems desoldering the controller ports...
The solder used there does apparently need really high temperatures. Has anyone done this already and can give advice?

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 pm

The screen was designed to take up to 8.5. (I may be wrong.)
But you really want to put 7.5 (I may be wrong.)
So what you got there should work. (I may also be wrong.)

Controller ports: I know on my 8.5v one i just broke them off and then solder to the traces.
Take a dremal or a saw and cut the pins off. then solder to those pins. (I may also be wrong.)
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Odin

Post by Odin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:53 am

If you had taken your time reading my post, you would have read that the screen and the PS both run fine with 7.2V.

Anyway, I don't know whoat the first PS2 slim's mobo looks like, but I really can't just break off the controller ports on mine. :/

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am

I read your post. i think you can still use a dremel on the ports.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Odin

Post by Odin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm

I do neither own a dremel nor do I know anyone who owns one.
And I don't wanna buy one...