PocketPlay (Pstwo Portable Worklog)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

gamefreak11
Portablizer
Re: PocketPlay (Pstwo Portable Worklog)

Post by gamefreak11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:48 pm

After sanding, sanding, sanding and more sanding, I'm basically done with the case work.

Here is the front before painting:

Here is the volume adjuster buttons. I used perf board + rubber membrane tact switches in place of the original. I'm going to use different buttons on top of these tacts

I then traced out the shoulder buttons on the back of the case:

Then epoxied them in:

Remember to always wear eye protection when using a dremel. Tiny flinging particles hurt really bad when they land in your eye.

I then sanded and bondo puttied the shoulder buttons in.

When sanding, its a good idea to start with a low grit and work your way up. I start with 60 grit, then 80, 150,180 then finally 300 grit.

For the paint, I used a black paint with a hammered finish. This gives it a sort of textured look and hides imperfections in the case work.

Painted front:

Painted Back - I had hoped to preserve the ps logo but things didn't work out, so I'll need another coat.

Overall, I'm happy with the case. Next up is the electronics.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:17 pm

aww :( ... i was hoping you would spend more time on the case. the screen hole isnt even square, you could definitely use a lot more sanding, a skim coat of filler, and a coat of primer. its a good case design, you should do it justice.

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

I swear that must be the camera. It has been sanded smooth and the paint looks great in person. you are right about the square holes, but they will not be visible with the buttons I have.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Why not epoxy in the hole part of the frame of the psone/zenith screen? Then the screen hole would be more "square." Plus the frame has holes for the buttons.

Assuming you're using one of those screens, of course.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:53 pm

I used that method for my snesp. (It did turn out great)
Sadly, I have lost the front portion of this psone screen. I bought it about 5 years ago.

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:47 am

Today I decided to do my best to get the screen portion and buttons straight.
I promise you, this looks great in person. However, due to the case's reflective nature, it does not look great on camera. Those bumps and imperfections are not really there at all. They are light reflecting off the surface + the camera's flash all making it appear poor, when it really isn't. I can pretty much see myself, the case is so reflective.

I also drilled speaker holes and a hole in the bottom middle for a power light.

I suppose this type of paint is not recommended for pictures. A flat black would have been best, in retrospect. I did try satin black, but that showed the actual imperfections. It is a little late now. I do not want to sand everything and repaint just to get a better picture. It looks great in person.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I absolutely love the overall layout of the case. However, it really looks like it has been dipped in tar. Shiny black paint and portables just don't mix, I'm afraid. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who can join me in saying "been there, done that" with regret.

The overall design really is fantastic, though. I am totally stealing your design if I make a PS2 portable. That disc lid combined with the shoulder buttons has me drooling :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:51 pm

why not put the logo on after the paint coats?
That thing does look like its been dipped in tar.
also what are the 4 square buttons beneath the screen?
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:00 pm

gamax92 wrote: also what are the 4 square buttons beneath the screen?
Brightness/contrast and volume up/down
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Okay that makes sense. are you using custom buttons.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 pm

sand the thing smooth, take some sandpaper and wrap it around something flat and square and use it to straighten out the edges of your screen hole. to round out your button holes, wrap sandpaper around a BIC pen and sand them round. after everything is straight, flush, smooth and contoured and not looking like a neurotic ape cut the holes, then give it a nice couple coats of satin black. that hammer paint looks like crap. spend some extra time on the thing so its actually better than just "average". make something you can be proud to show off instead of "just another sub-par portable from some kid". im not telling you this to say you are crap, im telling you because you have every capability of making this thing near production quality with just a little more time and effort. Good luck with it :wink:

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 pm

dragonhead wrote: ...not looking like a neurotic ape...
dragonhead wrote: that hammer paint looks like crap.
dragonhead wrote: make something you can be proud to show off instead of "just another sub-par portable from some kid".
:mrgreen: LOL :mrgreen: You are way to funny.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 pm

I agree with dragonhead. You have the potential to have a REALLY fantastic case here with a little more attention paid to the fit and finish! you can do like dragonhead says, use bic pens and peices of wood or whatever as sanding blocks to get your lines straight and smooth, use fine grits (250, 400, and 800) to get your case nice and smooth, use bondo to fill the low spots, then paint it with a different color, no textured finishes. the smoother and cleaner your sanding and bondo work is the better the final paintjob will look, you dont need to try and hide flaws if there arent any :wink:

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Well, you are all right. Harsh, but right.

I have been working on this case forever now. It may not look perfect, but it is the best I can do. So far I have rebuilt the front. It hasn't been fun to say the least, but it looks far nicer in photographs. I used flat black krylon paint.

I am having problems with the back though. Is it possible to add spot putty on top of paint? Haven't been successful when I try.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 pm

gamefreak11 wrote:I am having problems with the back though. Is it possible to add spot putty on top of paint? Haven't been successful when I try.
you need to rough up the paint before adding the putty, but you can do it. also, i told you, but it looks a lot better. ;)