Slot Loading Drive - Pinouts?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
Slot Loading Drive - Pinouts?

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey,

I just - oh my god! a massive spider came from behind my spiderman poster :shock:

OK. Thought id' let you know. Anyway, I bug sprayed that bit*h... 8)

Moving on, I just pulled out a slot Loading drive (Panasonic CW-8124-C) from a faulty NEC laptop.

Now the thing that has me confuzzeled, is that the drive does not have (of course) a SATA or IDE cable port.

So is there any pinouts or something that can be followed?

I mean, all drives operate the same I guess. They spin and read. Basically simple.

Is there a site that shows you the MAIN pins and what they do? Like a monitor. R G B + SYNC. Would a drive have something like, READ, WRITE, SWITCH 1, 2 ,3 ... 12, GND and +5V?

Also, do all laptop use the same plug interface? It is kind of a rectangle plug with the pins on the inside of it, followed by a block (another rectangle) that acts as a clip. This is all going to a ribbon cable to the MoBo (the Computer).

*EDIT*

Here is what it looks like (the image below, is from http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40311)

Thanks.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Slot Loading Drive - Pinouts?

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Haunted360 wrote:Also, do all laptop use the same plug interface? It is kind of a rectangle plug with the pins on the inside of it, followed by a block (another rectangle) that acts as a clip. This is all going to a ribbon cable to the MoBo (the Computer).
I think newer ones use SATA (what you have is IDE), but in my experience, they're all the same as yours (if they're IDE/older). Some might have an adapter screwed to them, but if you remove that, they're all the same.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15388
They have (or at least used to) an IDE version too, too lazy to find it.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Slot Loading Drive - Pinouts?

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for that information.

So it IS an IDE ribbon cable (like a PC Main / motherboard) in disguise?

Also, that link is EXCELLENT. I may have to buy one of those...