Will this PC work?

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

ThatWeeScottishChiel
360 GamerTag:Iz Twsc
Steam ID:ThatWeeScottishChiel
Will this PC work?

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:33 am

Hey. Im building a new PC and I'm wanting to know if this setup will work :)

Specs:

Antec 200 Case
Gigabyte GA-770TA Motherboard
AMD Phenom II Black Edition CPU
GeForce GTX 460 Nvidia 1Gb Graphics Card
OCZ 3x2Gb RAM
Samsung EcoGreen 1.5T HardDrive
Samsung TS-H353 DVD-ROM
OCZ StealthXStream 600W PSU

If it doesnt work what parts would you recommend?

wizzard1

Re: Will this PC work?

Post by wizzard1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 am

Why on earth would you purchase triple channel memory? AMD is dual channel only :)

ThatWeeScottishChiel

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:43 pm

wizzard1 wrote:Why on earth would you purchase triple channel memory? AMD is dual channel only :)

Oh. Well What would you recommend? I thought it would work Because it said 3x2 and the motherboard has 4 RAM slots. :)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 pm

If the motherboard only has 4 slots it most likely doesn't support triple-channel.

ThatWeeScottishChiel

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Is there any memory you would recommend then?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm running a set of OCZ DDR2 800 right now. They seem to be a good brand.

Just avoid no-name rubbish from companies like "compu-tek" and keep an eye on the speed when you're shopping. (Sometimes what looks like a really good deal is just a lot of old slow RAM the retailer is trying to liquidate.) Check for bundle deals on the parts you're getting, especially on NewEgg. They usually turn out cheaper.

ThatWeeScottishChiel

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks :) So should this PC set up work if it had the OCZ memory in it? :)

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:56 pm

bicostp wrote:I'm running a set of OCZ DDR2 800 right now. They seem to be a good brand.

Just avoid no-name rubbish from companies like "compu-tek" and keep an eye on the speed when you're shopping. (Sometimes what looks like a really good deal is just a lot of old slow RAM the retailer is trying to liquidate.) Check for bundle deals on the parts you're getting, especially on NewEgg. They usually turn out cheaper.
+1 on both points. I'm running four sticks of OCZ DDR2 800, and it's been fine for me. Other brands for RAM that I've had good experience are Crucial, Kingston, and Mushkin.

Bundles on Newegg are fantastic ways to either save a bit of cash, get something better, or both. Look for stuff similar to what you're interested in, and check out the combo deals. Back in '08 when I originally threw together this PC, I got a better CPU in a combo deal with my RAM for cheaper than it would have been separate for a CPU one tier lower and similar RAM. I also got a similar combo deal on my mobo and PSU. So poke around Newegg for combo deals; they are your friends.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:48 pm

The "genius" at overclock.net Might Be Able To Help You.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:02 pm

If it's in your budget, I'd recommend an SSD. I've been told by many friends who have bought them that it's the single biggest difference in performance they've ever experienced.

Otherwise, I'd recommend one of the single-platter 500gb drives for a boot drive (they're fast) in addition to having the 1.5tb drive for storage. A 1.5tb green drive won't be the fastest for an OS drive. (it will work though if you're not concerned about speed, but with the Phenom Black Edition and GTX 460 I get the feeling that performance matters to you)

500gb single-platter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152181
SSD: (get an Intel or an OCZ, they're supposedly the fastest, but you can look for reviews online too, you wouldn't have to get this particular one) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227395
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ThatWeeScottishChiel

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:49 pm

jdmlight wrote:If it's in your budget, I'd recommend an SSD. I've been told by many friends who have bought them that it's the single biggest difference in performance they've ever experienced.

Otherwise, I'd recommend one of the single-platter 500gb drives for a boot drive (they're fast) in addition to having the 1.5tb drive for storage. A 1.5tb green drive won't be the fastest for an OS drive. (it will work though if you're not concerned about speed, but with the Phenom Black Edition and GTX 460 I get the feeling that performance matters to you)

SSD: (get an Intel or an OCZ, they're supposedly the fastest, but you can look for reviews online too, you wouldn't have to get this particular one) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227395

Should I bother getting 2 Samsung 500Gb Drives? I want to use this PC for quite har gaming. :)

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:57 pm

ThatWeeScottishChiel wrote:
jdmlight wrote:If it's in your budget, I'd recommend an SSD. I've been told by many friends who have bought them that it's the single biggest difference in performance they've ever experienced.

Should I bother getting 2 Samsung 500Gb Drives? I want to use this PC for quite har gaming. :)
Well you only really need one fast drive for your operating system and where you install your games. The other drive can be a 1.5tb green drive to give you a bunch of storage space. If you wanted to save some money, you could just get two 500gb drives though.

Speaking of saving money, how urgent is this build? If it's not overly urgent, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks for Black Friday. Newegg and Tigerdirect always have fantastic deals, and you don't have to fight crazy day-after-Thanksgiving-shoppers because it's online. :D
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ThatWeeScottishChiel

Post by ThatWeeScottishChiel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:31 pm

jdmlight wrote:
ThatWeeScottishChiel wrote:

Well you only really need one fast drive for your operating system and where you install your games. The other drive can be a 1.5tb green drive to give you a bunch of storage space. If you wanted to save some money, you could just get two 500gb drives though.

Speaking of saving money, how urgent is this build? If it's not overly urgent, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks for Black Friday. Newegg and Tigerdirect always have fantastic deals, and you don't have to fight crazy day-after-Thanksgiving-shoppers because it's online. :D

Yes, It is quite urgent because it is my Dad that is buying the parts for me and I'm only at his house for a week.. :/