NintenGO 64

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sonic4freedom
Portablizer
NintenGO 64

Post by sonic4freedom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:45 pm

MEGA EDIT :shock: :
Finally got the pics up. I decided to use the new pics, seeing how the old ones are now obsolete.

Motherboard (Top):

Motherboard (Bottom):

Case:

Progress so far:
-Playstation 2 joystick installed (still having motion problems)
-3.5" screen (buttons relocated and screen ready to be placed)
-Superpad 64 buttons relocated and ready to be placed
-Case almost finished (Frankencaseing FTW.)
-Audio amp ready for install

Still waiting on those bloody batteries. The screen came BEFORE everything, and it was sent from CHINA!

Screen:

Audio amp:

My fear right now, is that there is no way for me to make sure the board is still working until the batteries come in. and even with that, there is the hump of making a (working) step-down regulator. If this board is screwed cause of a trace, imma be real pissed. But non-the-less, I have 3 more Mobo's I can work with and be more careful with. It's the Cart Relocation that irritates me.

Mockup pics:

The Portablizer:

I'm still a bit rusty since my first portable, so any words from the wise is totally appreciated :D

For my first N64, I must say, i'm impressed with how small it is.
Last edited by sonic4freedom on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: NintenGO 64

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:34 pm

use imageshacks forum thumbnail link option.
and possibly take a better pic for the cart slot relocation? you have to solder to the pins not the holes
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Lol, phone quality is fail. And take a closer look, I put the wire THROUGH the hole, bend, and solder to the pins. That way I can 1.) keep track of what I soldered and 2.) not have to worry about wires contacting each other or coming out of place.
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

wizzard1

Post by wizzard1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13 pm

The heatsink is quite nice, but it's not going to do much good with the exhaust blocked by the expansion slot :)

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:50 am

wizzard1 wrote:The heatsink is quite nice, but it's not going to do much good with the exhaust blocked by the expansion slot :)
+1
excellent design!

epic screen break :wink:
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:52 am

wizzard1 wrote:The heatsink is quite nice, but it's not going to do much good with the exhaust blocked by the expansion slot :)
I know. But as long as even a little air comes through I'm good. The Heatsinks and the ADDITIONAL heatsink can handle the job quite nicely. Add airvents and i'm home free. The fan was just a plus.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey guys. Okay, I ran into a problem. I got all the things I need except for the batteries (Screen, 3rd party controller, etc.) So I put in a Gamecube joystick on my Superpad 64, and it worked, except, when I move in certain directions (Right, Left, Up/Left, Down/Right) Mario starts to either walk, and even tip-toe. I don't need to elaborate how annoying that is, any tips? also, and, uh, actually, the Gamecube joystick broke (bottom cap came off), so I put a Playstation 2 Analogue on instead. Same problem. Mario walks/tips toes, and in Battle Tanx, well, you get the picture. Help me.

Another question, I ordered 2x 3.7v 4700MaH Li-ion batteries (on the way) So when I wire them, I put the 7.4v line to the 12v line, this I already know, but my question is, since I was never able to make a WORKING step-down regulator (Either to little volts or to many volts come out. I've ordered so many, TI.com probably knows my SSN! XD ) can I just run one of the batteries 3.7v to the 3.5v line? I mean, it's easier, and I dont have to bother with making another faliure if a SDR. Will it perform differently? Drain faster? Fill me in with Info! Thanks, Pics soon. Case almost finished ( I LIKE it).
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 pm

check the resistance between the potentiometers on the superpad, when:
neutral
all the way right/up
all the way left/down
basically if i doesn match the resistance of the gamecube/ps2 analog its not gonna work great.
on the portable
thats gonna be pretty small :shock:

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm going to shorten the wires first, then check. Crap like this always comes to bite me in the ass :?
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:11 pm

I woke this morning and tripped over a box on my porch as I got the mail. I opened the package and did an :mrgreen: : :

Batteries are here!! :awesome:

PCB board for the batteries

Batteries Ahoy!

Charger.

Now I already put EVERYTHING in the case (Batteries, Mobo, controller board, Screen board) and the case still snaps closed. It's a REAL tight fit, but it feels sturdy that way. It also has a healthy weight to it as well. Now, because I had to baby sit today, all I had time to do this morning was wire the batteries to the PCB board and create connectors for the charger and the batteries. Quick question. When I want to charge the batteries, do I just hook it to the (+) and (-) output coming from the PCB board?

Another question. The Playstation Joystick is STILL giving me problems and I REFUSE to use the stock joystick that came with the Superpad 64 controller, so please, help me.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm

sonic4freedom wrote: Quick question. When I want to charge the batteries, do I just hook it to the (+) and (-) output coming from the PCB board?
yes, i suggest using shockslayers (?) charge/play switch or something similar

[quote="sonic4freedom"
Another question. The Playstation Joystick is STILL giving me problems and I REFUSE to use the stock joystick that came with the Superpad 64 controller, so please, help me.[/quote]
blaze3927 wrote:check the resistance between the potentiometers on the superpad, when:
neutral
all the way right/up
all the way left/down
basically if it doesn't match the resistance of the gamecube/ps2 analog its not gonna work great.
its going to be a bit of work but you have to do it. im afraid theres no easy fix. The only other thing i can think is if you didn't ground/vcc the analog stick properly. as in make sure that vcc and ground is going to both potentiometers.
post a pic of the superpad and it's stock joystick anyway so we can see what we are dealing with

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Yellow wire came off you I drew it back on :lol:

I wired my PS joystick EXACTLY like that.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 pm

*Ignore the Gamecube stick*

That is the stock joystick with the SuperPad

And below is how I wired up my Playstation joystick:

-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:41 am

you may have an easy way out if your lucky, more pics of the superpad joystick from the side/top will confirm this

if not
already the superpads joystick is different to the psone/amecube/ps2 interface, it should still be compatible but resistance is the key.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:30 am

I fixed it! Mario now runs in the direction I want, at the speed I choose!

I ordered a step-down that Bacteria (NO FLAMING!) suggested.
The controller is ready to be put in. This portable is 95% done. Just need the step-down converter, and test the WHOLE thing put together (not inside the case). It SHOULD work most definitely as I have done everything I need to. I'm very excited, for this is my first FINISHED n64 portable. In fact, my "Franken Vision" has spotted a school supply box as a case and I already began grooming it for Portablazation (lol, made up a word :lol: ). So if NintenGO is successful, I want to make MANY more :awesome:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer