PIC N64 Controller

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator
Re: PIC N64 Controller

Post by evilteddy » Sat May 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I started off just playing around with the data line with the PIC I'm most familiar with but I've now bought a new one and I'm writing the program for it now. It shouldn't take too long.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 am

Going to bump this. Go somewhere with it, plox.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I would love to go somewhere with this. Believe me, it was a fun project while I was working on it and will be heaps of fun when I get to finishing it. There is a slight impediment to progress at the moment. My PIC programmer keeps breaking. I've repaired it a couple of times but this time I have no idea what is wrong so at the moment I am saving up for a PICkit 3. Adding to that I have my HSC exams (finals for the Americans here) in a couple of weeks. All up there really isn't much I can do on this at the moment though if it helps to get some progress before my programmer kicked the dust I did get the basic 0x00 and 0x01 commands working on the 16f6886 in code which wouldn't make a proper programmer's mind explode (refer to Marshall, previous page).

I have also looked into the CRC more fully and unfortunately there is no way that I (with no formal training in programming or electronics) will be able to implement it. Especially with a PIC running at 20Mhz.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 am

See the cool thing about being in canberra is the we don't have HSC, and have already done our AST. xP
what are you looking to do next year, come to canberra and do engineering at anu :P?
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Why should I do engineering at ANU when I could do a combined degree of physics and computer engineering at Newcastle? I know the ANU is supposed to be a really good uni but Newcastle uni is actually pretty strong in engineering. That said it is completely terrible at the arts.

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 pm

^^ because canberra is cooler :P
and by going to a canberra school you never learn anything about uni's outside of canberra :S
i'll have to investigate this newcastle uni :mrgreen:

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 am

Canberra is so not cool lol.. I was living there for a bit last year, ..and it got waaaay too freakin hot near Christmas, that's when I moved back to NZ, couldn't hack it :P ..and it was hopeless getting around anywhere (until I got a motorbike) ..it's all like, little chunk of buildings - motorway - chunk of buildings - motorway - mall - motorway - FARK TONNE OF ROUND-A-BOUTS - etc.. lol :mrgreen: ..ANU is awesome though :D

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:45 am

Whoah. If anything Canberra is very well laid out. Admittedly maybe not for people without a couple of cars but the blocks of buildings are there for a purpose and together they make a cohesive city. Pity about the lack of any good beaches or even waterways for sailing (the premier reason for me choosing a place to live).

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:25 pm

sorry if that post sounded offensive lol.. I was meaning it's not 'cool' as in it's waaay to 'hot' for me..twas just a play on words :P ..the separated clumps of buildings was manageable after getting some wheels, but before then it was hella frustrating lol

The man made lakes are good for a lot of things, I hear the waters pretty clean too :mrgreen:

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, that was mostly mock outrage. It's a nice place to visit but I personally wouldn't want to live there. I live on Australia's largest saltwater coastal lake. Best place ever.

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:10 pm

The code has been mostly rewritten and it actually works properly now rather than just every 10 requests when timing lines up. status and button requests are completely done properly but I haven't yet tried working on memory reads and writes. I'm sure I can get the rumble pack to work but it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to do the memory pack.

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:34 am

Wow...10 wow's.
Great work. any chance i can have a squiz at that code?
p.s hope you got accepted into newcastle uni?

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Sorry Blaze. I didn't actually see that you posted. I did get into uni but tbh the atar cutoff and bonus points for combined bachelor of computer engineering and physics were such that I was over 30 points above the cutoff. Guess there's a big need for engineers :P I'll post the code in a couple of days after I've cleaned it up a bit. Anyway I've finished the smallest N64 controller in the world:

I'm pretty proud of it. It doesn't look too great and the c button fell off the c stick but to be honest I'm not trying to showcase my case making skills.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm

That is a fantastic job evilteddy. After you work out the kinks, are you calling this project done? Will you be selling controller boards (sorry if thats already been said, I didn't look further in the thread).
Image Image

evilteddy
Portablizer

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Actually I was going to make a controller board so this could be smaller and more professional but I figured that I'd be the only one interested. I figured others may be interested in a breakout board so it would be easy to use in a portable.