Game Boy Tunelling Software?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

SheepishPixel
Game Boy Tunelling Software?

Post by SheepishPixel » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:56 am

Hey everyone SheepishPixel here, just wondering if anyone ever developed any sort of Tunelling software for the Game Boy, I'm thinking that you'd need some sort of hacked Link cable to run through the Parallel port? I know many emulators can do this with ease (online play) but connecting the Game Boy (DMG, Pocket, Color, Advance, Advance SP, any that would work) to a computer and playing online with someone who's doing the same? Just thought it'd be fun. If it's not possible, I'll just dump my Pokemon save with a GB Transferer or a similar device and use the emulator's online capability and have a couple of friends do the same.

Thanks in advance!

Gaara Ichimaru

Re: Game Boy Tunelling Software?

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Sorry, I've been working with gameboys and computers primarily for a while now and I have a feeling it's not possible, if it was then I guess you'd have to hack a USB and gameboy link cable together and make the hardware visible to your computer, but as the gameboy was never meant to be connected to networks the chances are very slim. :(

If however, you somehow made the gameboy compatible you'd need to create software on your computer anyway. not and easy task whichever way you go about it.

I may be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

SheepishPixel

Post by SheepishPixel » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Gaara Ichimaru wrote:Sorry, I've been working with gameboys and computers primarily for a while now and I have a feeling it's not possible, if it was then I guess you'd have to hack a USB and gameboy link cable together and make the hardware visible to your computer, but as the gameboy was never meant to be connected to networks the chances are very slim. :(

If however, you somehow made the gameboy compatible you'd need to create software on your computer anyway. not and easy task whichever way you go about it.

I may be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.

-Gaara
Thanks mate, I guess I'll just dump my save game to my PC using the connector by EMS I think the company's called? "GB Transferer" or something.

Cheers
-Sheeep

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

It should be possible, though I am far from the man to do it, USB confuses matters more and the parallel port will be the way to go,

basically you need to write a computer program that then listens to the port send the data across the net and receives the data and send that to the port, theoretically simple, but the gameboy probably has only a small wait time for packets. (though i am pretty sure the gameboy link port is very slow and todays internet speed could probably better it)

omfgcaps

Post by omfgcaps » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 pm

don't fret, someone is working on this...

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:28 pm

There were actually cartridges called "PC Linker" back in the day, that used a LPT cable to connect to the link port. The cartridge then had a BIOS to connect to a program on the PC.
There was also a cable that you could emulate a printer with, the "MadCatz" cable. That one only worked with Gameboy Camera or other games that would print stuff to a Gameboy Printer normally.

The problem with both of those is that they're not "general purpose". You can't use them for, e.g., transferring save data unless you come up with a way of running code on the Gameboy.

Today, however, I think the way to go is using the ever so popular Arduino, if you want to play with these things. Computers these days more often than not, don't have LPT ports, and even when they do, they won't let you control the CPU in real time. That's the price you're paying for being able to have 20 tabs open in your browser. The microcontroller on the Arduino is all yours, however, in realtime.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total