Going to make my own tablet!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Jidan
Going to make my own tablet!

Post by Jidan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 pm

So I'm going to try and make my own tablet. Hooray! I have no idea what kinds of things I should get for it. The things I want:

-Windows (prefer Vista) or something that looks and works the same.
-Be able to run at most SNES/GBA emulators full speed for most games.
-A way to have a decent-sized HDD would be very nice, as I want to be able to store music and games on there. Maybe something around 20gb?
-Some way to get Wifi; I don't know anything about that.
-A way to get a decent battery life! I'd love at least 5 hours.

-I'd love to make it have a screen at about 7" maybe? Something a bit smaller than the iPad. And then maybe 1.5" - 2" thick? :?

I'm not asking for people to go research all this for me; I'll be doing that. I just need some suggestions or what the best things would be or some decent alternatives. :)

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Going to make my own tablet!

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:59 pm

Simplest and likely least expensive would be repurposing a netbook. They are a bit bigger (length and width approximately that of the iPad), but are thin, available with Windows, 5-6 hours battery life with 6 cell battery, have built-in wifi, a larger hard drive than you specified, and are relatively cheap.

You would just need to do some case work and add a touchscreen overlay kit.

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 am

Huh, so that sounds exactly like what I want to get out of this...I'll definitely look into that, thanks. Would the keyboard be hard to remove at all? I don't know how the inside of laptops/netbooks work.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 am

Usually all you have to do to remove a keyboard is undo a couple screws and unplug one of those plastic ribbon cable connectors.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Make sure to get one with ion or ion2, since the intel 945 that most netbooks have are absolutely horrible. (they consume really little power too, so less heat unlike my eee pc)