N64p Worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

AdumUp
360 GamerTag:AdumUp
Steam ID:AdumUp
N64p Worklog

Post by AdumUp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 pm

My first portable!
if you've got a better name then N64p let me know, i have trouble being creative :cry:
Anyways! onto my portable. I will be using...
- PS one 5" LCD
- Tomee N64 controller
- Expansion pack
- Rumble Pack
- 7.4v 4200MaH Li-Ion battery

I haven't got too much completed, but ill post pics tommorow. I have removed the all the useless stuff from the board like the power switch, AV out, Power input, and both cart and exp. slots.
:o Just remembered something, I have Limpport building a case from a design we worked out, this is the final picture i received from him a while ago.
L and R will be located in the top left and right like a GBA and Z will be on the back side behind L
I'm hoping to have this done in about a month if i dont run into any problems :lol:

AdumUp

Re: N64p Worklog

Post by AdumUp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!
Sorry I haven't posted any pictures yet, my camera sucks and you guys here on the forum dont deserve to be subjected to that kind of squinting and head cocking to even slightly make out some kind of odd distinguishable shape.
I should be able to fit a fan in, depends on the amount of space ill have and the conveniance of procuring one (I've ordered all the parts for this and I'm completely drainded of cash at the moment) the ones I do have laying around are from XBox 360s and are quite large.
Thanks for the names, but I'm a little curious though, I think Cloud 64 and Portendo 64 have been done. I think I'm going to wait until I can think of something that means something to me... Like "pain in the ass 64" conveniently shortended to PITA64, due to the unexpected pains and frustrations I've had so far. Just trying to test the parts, I had the batterys connected to the N64 and screen and it took a good 3 days of tinkering and checking connections to get it all to work properly. The worst part is there is probably more to come (not looking forward to that)
But I'm sure I should have this thing in no time, just waiting on the case right now.

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Cool dude! Also, mrafterfx, basement modder on modretro is using the name portendo64. I really like that case; it looks super comfy. Can't wait for progress!
EDIT: Also, I am using a tomee as well; aren't they amazing?

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

MrAfterFx wrote:I have a zn 45 case meant for this mod I am selling it for 10 if you want it...
This case is being worked on by Limpport right now, I'm not looking for a new case right now, but thank you anyways.
I got my tomee controller about two weeks ago and It makes me want to beat up 6 year old me for ever using the Nintendo brand... Theyre sexy beautiful :D

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:14 pm

AdumUp wrote: Theyre sexy beautiful :D
Indeed they are. Have you decided if you are going to use the analog stick tact switch? I want to use mine for start but I feel like i wouldnt use it or i would hit it accidentally.

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't know what I would use it for really.
Start seems like a bad idea, Z might work but ill be playing Legend of Zelda more than anything and I don't think that would feel very comfortable for z targeting, and I thought about using it for a reset button then promptly smacked myself upside the head... I don't think ill wind up using it at all

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Yeah... I really want to use it though!!

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Hmm..... Fan on/off button, leds on/off like on gba sp, remotely drops a disco ball from the nearest ceiling :lol: I'm out of ideas

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Thats it! Leds!

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Just finished relocating the cartridge slot.... Phew :wtf: I guess its becuase its my first time, but I'm about ready to rip all my hair out. I had to restart twice becuase I skipped connections and got to far ahead to fix myself easily, oh well, its done. As I posted above, Im not gonna post any pictures until I can snag my dads nice camera and get some sexy action shots.
I picked up some PCB for the tact switches, so as soon as the they come in ill take apart my contoller and get started adding tact switchs to where they'll need to be.
Ill have to order another one of these tomee controllers for myself, ill be miserable having to use a Nintendo brand piece of crap controller untill I finish this project
:lol:
I'm heading to visit some family this weekend and will not be able to work on the project untill Tuesday... I'm hoping the case might be finished around then or as soon as possible so in can get this all together :D

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 am

How would i go about wiring a three way power swith to my N64, Screen and Battery? A diagram would be extremely helpful.
Im also having trouble finding that diagram of the solder points on the back side of the psone screen so I don't have to hone my soldering skills to try and solder the those tiny prongs :(
Case should be here next Friday :D and I hope to be done very soon afterwards!

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

AdumUp wrote:How would i go about wiring a three way power swith to my N64, Screen and Battery? A diagram would be extremely helpful.
Im also having trouble finding that diagram of the solder points on the back side of the psone screen so I don't have to hone my soldering skills to try and solder the those tiny prongs :(
Case should be here next Friday :D and I hope to be done very soon afterwards!
Just a switch between the the battery - and the N64 ground. Because you want the screen, controller and N64 all connected with a common ground, I'm guessing you're gonna have everything grounded to the N64. I made a terrible drawing, but it shows what I mean:
Picture 11.png
Picture 11.png (21.07KiB)Viewed 10513 times
And I found the picture I think you were looking for (I'm leaving it as a link because the image is wide):
http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=57&file=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image credit to zenloc

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the help limmport, now i can continue soldering :mrgreen: ...
actually i have one final question and i should be set, is there a special kind of jack i need for my battery (7.4v) to a charge it? can i use the one that comes with the psone screen. Ive read about a smart charger somewhere on the boards that it seems many people use, can anyone link it?

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

I bought a whopping 9Ah battery for mine, and I'm using this charger with no hassles so far, though there's no real way I can see to charge and play at the same time, since the draw of a portable is more juice than the charger puts out.
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx

AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Still working on this, but ive run into a problem im having a hell of a hard time soldering to the prongs on the bottom of the psone screen, and the points on the back are a pain because the solder wont stick and i dont have solder. i was curious if i could use the plugs that usually connect to the bottom of the screens and solder to the corresponding wires? i dont see why it wouldnt work, but i just want to check before i do anything stupid. and would super glue be an appropriate method of securing my buttons to my case? or should i use some kind of epoxy, i know i shouldnt use bondo but if super glue wont work what will?