Tib is an idiot with a computer!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361
Tib is an idiot with a computer!

Post by Tibia » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 am

My cousin traded me most of a mobo, a power supply, and a case. It all cost me nothing, I'm trying to turn it into a low-to-mid end gaming machine. The kicker is I have NO money, so I'm trying to do it with what I have laying around. Before I can even piece something together and see what kind of specs the mobo actually has, I have to replace about a dozen capacitors. They were rated for 16V, 820uf. What's the worst-case scenario if I put in 16V 1000uf capacitors? I know most of them have some kind of tolerance, am I still within that tolerance?
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: Tib is an idiot with a computer!

Post by Rekarp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Are these capacitors on by the ports on the back of the motherboard? If so it should be fine replacing them with 1000uF as these are just power conditioning and going up in value will increase the filtering. Only bad thing I can see is if the caps are not rated at a high enough temperature. Should be fine though.

One thing is if the capacitors went then something went wrong with either the old caps or the power supply went boom. If the power supply went then the entire motherboard could be fried.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

The caps were removed from this one to fix a customer's computer, which did have a failing power supply. The board was in perfect working order when they were removed. They're kind of all over the place, though. Some are right between the processor and the memory, some are by the main power connector, and some are by the headers for the front USB ports.

I don't see any temperature rating on them, however. I'm planning on adding one or two chassis fans that weren't originally included, so I don't foresee temperature being a problem. Thanks Rekarp.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Tibia wrote:The caps were removed from this one to fix a customer's computer, which did have a failing power supply. The board was in perfect working order when they were removed. They're kind of all over the place, though. Some are right between the processor and the memory, some are by the main power connector, and some are by the headers for the front USB ports.

I don't see any temperature rating on them, however. I'm planning on adding one or two chassis fans that weren't originally included, so I don't foresee temperature being a problem. Thanks Rekarp.
Good rule of thumb is that is the negative terminal is on the boards ground (0V) then its a filtering capacitor. You should be ok.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Rekarp. Much appreciated.