UPSes

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
UPSes

Post by jdmlight » Sat May 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Sparkfist's signature got me wondering: how many of you have a UPS for your computer?

I have two Image. One for my unRAID server + gigabit switch, one for my Mac Mini + display. My dad's also got one for his iMac + router + Comcast modem, so I'll still have interwebz if the power goes out. :D

A poll would be awesome: have a UPS, don't have a UPS, planning to buy a UPS. :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, the two I have are: APC Back-UPS ES550 and ES750. I bought the 750 a while ago, the 550 is more recent - it was on super sale for around $40 when I was looking for a plain surge protector, so I got that instead. :D
Last edited by jdmlight on Mon May 31, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

WhatULive4

Re: UPSes

Post by WhatULive4 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:20 am

I had one, but the battery started to go on it, and it started beeping all the time. Now I just back my stuff up on a regular basis instead.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: UPSes

Post by bicostp » Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Mine is an old Circuit City fixture; I bought it for something like $5 a couple days before they completely closed up. It had a dead battery, but I had a few 12v lead-acid batteries around. I cut the original divider plastic out of the battery compartment and now it has twice the capacity it did when it was new! :D It's an APC Back-UPS 350, and it keeps my computer, monitor, clock, and Ethernet switch going when the power goes out.

I've got an old APC Back-UPS 500 on the TV and DVD player, too. The battery doesn't last quite as long as the good one, but it's a decent surge protector, and it's enough to run a lamp and keep the standby memory in the devices going.