Regarding touchscreen overlays

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

luddite
Regarding touchscreen overlays

Post by luddite » Mon May 24, 2010 9:13 pm

So a quick question: Touchscreen overlays, can they be either custom ordered or cut to size? Silly either way I know, but I can't find a 16;10 12.1" overlay :(

snowpenguin

Re: Regarding touchscreen overlays

Post by snowpenguin » Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Get one big enough, and just calibrate out the extra size when you calibrate the touchscreen.

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue May 25, 2010 10:28 pm

That could work I guess. I don't have any of these things in front of me, but would this require a larger case than might otherwise be necessary?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 pm

luddite wrote:That could work I guess. I don't have any of these things in front of me, but would this require a larger case than might otherwise be necessary?
Possibly. Yes, the overlay would be bigger than the visible screen area, and no, you can't just cut off the excess. But it may fit in the bezel around your screen depending on the size of the bezel/how much the touch panel hangs over.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm

I figured cutting the overlay would gift you with the need for more wiring in a best case scenario. I didn't really think that was an option.

So it looks like some math be in order. pppbpbbbtthhptth. Approaching this from a portable gaming angle I can see where a little extra is not maybe such a big deal. I'm looking into kluging together a tablet pc though; less is more :)

Then again I'm a novish hacker without economy of scale. Maybe I should just wait for the wetab to be available or something like it...waiting sucks though.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Make a netbook tablet.

DO IT FAGGOT

If you have to you might be able to fold a bit of the overlay around the case and down and even through the back.

Maybe not fold as much as bend.

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Nothing motivates like a good slur.

I was considering doing that. I was really interested in the Samsung NC20 but go disappointed when I couldn't find a 12.1" widescreen overlay. Next one I've found so far is 14"...seems like a lot of bending; I could be wrong.

DanTheBib
360 GamerTag:DanTheBib

Post by DanTheBib » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Could always get a Samsung nc10 and do this guide.

I actually wanna try making a touch screen GBA/GBC, as I've seen one, but have no idea how to get such a small screen.