shrinking PC power supply

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

FatylPCs
shrinking PC power supply

Post by FatylPCs » Fri May 21, 2010 12:59 am

hey all this might seem to be a pretty dump question but can any one help me shrink a 5"x5"ish power supply to say a 3x6? or would it be safer and easier in the long run to just spend the $50 on a new PSU?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: shrinking PC power supply

Post by Sparkfist » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 am

Depending on output of the power supply you need it might be easier to by a Mini-ITX PSU. Their store has ranges from 80W to 160W. Not that big, but it is a lot easier.

If this is not what you are looking for at all. The only other option would be to re-design the PCB the PSU is built on. It's possible, it will be time consuming if you don't have any experience with it. But yeah it is do-able. This way you could actually shape the PSU anyway you want, as long as it's about 1.5 by 1.5 by x. The largest component (the transformer) is going to be your major limiting factor for how small you can make it on the x and y axis.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri May 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Just depends on the PSU. If the PCB takes up the whole area, you're probably best off buying a smaller one. You might be lucky and have a fan that takes up a whole side or something like that. Then you could just do some rearranging.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Look at mini box. I got my PicoPSU there. that thing is incredibly small, and the whole board is on the 24 pin ATX plug. What's the PSU for?
Last edited by nevermind1534 on Sun May 23, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks for your help guys:) the only hurdle i have now is putting it into a smaller case.
nevermind1534 wrote:Look at mini box. I got my PicoPSU there. that thing is incredibly small, and the whole board is on the 24 pin ATX plug. What's the PSU for?
The PSU is going into a XBox PC (kinda like the OSXBox Pro on YouTube) but its going to be a media center PC as opposed to a highpowered video editing rig. and i am on a VERY small budget. from looking at the internals through the exaust grate it seems like theres a lot of extra room in there so i'll keep you guys posted!

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Sun May 23, 2010 8:12 pm

quick update - the mobo in the PSU i wanna hack up is actually HALF the size of the case. the rest of the space os being taken up by an excessivly deep 120mm fan... dunno if any one else has seen this before... well n e who - n e ideas on a case or can i safely put it into a box without one?