Help Mod My Gamecube

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Tchay
Re: Help Mod My Gamecube

Post by Tchay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:39 am

I'm actually in the middle of another crappy relationship (when will I learn :roll: ) - advice: don't date women that are 6 years older than you.

Back to topic!!!

You want your portable to be small? Here are the problems we portablizers run into with the Gamecube system:

the motherboard - although it is relatively small, its squarish size makes for an unattractive portable
the disc drive - the depth(aka height) is about 1.2" which forces your portable to be thick and less fun
batteries - the gamecube is a powerhog and if you want decent battery life, then you will need large batteries (anywhere from 2-4 batts). Big batteries = big portable = not fun

I have dedicated the past 6 months to trying to overcome these obstacles. What I have learned:
- you can't slim the height of the disc drive, its next to impossible
- you CAN slim the motherboard A TON
- the best battery life and size I have seen was presented by the almighty Hailrazer. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=34576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering you are new, I would recommend you open up a gamecube, look around and start planning things out. Draw out what you want to do on paper, plan plan plan! Slimming the gamecube consists of mobo cutting and relocating anything hooked up to the mobo - thats it. Easier said then done of course. READ KASARS GUIDE A BILLION TIMES :lol:

First thing you will do is rip off the unnecessary plugs (whatever you call them) that stick out of the mobo. Then you should hook up a screen to your motherboard. Since you are a beginner, I would recommend this screen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-DVD-VCR-CCTV-TF ... 3ca81fe443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solder that screen on, and you will be able to test your board whenever you want since that screen will light up! After that, you will start "relocating" everything to the mobo: the disc drive, memory card slots (if you cut them off), controller, powerboard (rev A/B), and finally the batteries.

Of the above mentioned, the disc drive is the hardest relocation. It consists of rewiring the daughterboard (the disc drive board), and sometimes the cables coming from the disc drive (but that is also optional - but an absolute must if you want a small portable).

Right now, these are a bunch of words on a page. After you open up the gamecube and mess around with it a bit, things will make more sense. Feel free to ask questions on this topic, BUT you should search around and try to get answers yourself first (more rewarding when you figure something out on your own 8) )
Image Image

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey there tchay,

Lol sorry for not responding, but I didn't think i should respond until I actually accomplished something. And I FINALY opened up my gc! (big achievement for me; so far :p)

ahah....but for real, I have the disk drive, the mother board, and the daughter board completely independent from each other. Now I want to experiment and all and do my own work, don't get me wrong, but I had a question about the mother board: just don't want to make a simple error that would screw everything up. How would you suggest taking off/removing the four ports that are directly attached to it? I think one is video, but i haven't been able to find any clear cut information on this....if you have a suggestion that would be great!

thanks again

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Glad you're sticking with it!! :mrgreen:

Let me explain the 4 ports:

- Memory Card slot A (self explanatory hopefully)
- Memory Card slot B

then on the other side...
- AV port (like you said, this is the audio/video port, responsible for composite video and then sound. It hooks up to the red,white,yellow cable)

- Digital port (this port is responsible for component video-much nicer picture- but it needs a 60 dollar cable and will only work on HD TVs - it only relates to video. You don't need to worry about this port at all)

Removing the ports
Kasar's guide is pretty spot on with removing the ports. Be very careful your first few times doing this, because there are a lot of tiny capacitors (small brown cubes on the actual motherboard) that will rip off if you are too forceful. Rule of thumb: metal breaks when bent a lot. Bend these ports back and forth and then will snap off. Hope that helps!
Image Image

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:55 pm

ahhh ok....here are some pics:

Are You suggesting i use pliers for these ports as well on the opposite side of the mobo?

Thanks again
Attachments
Another One.jpg
Another One.jpg (76.44KiB)Viewed 2594 times
One Port.jpg
One Port.jpg (57.01KiB)Viewed 2594 times
Whole GC Taken Apart.jpg
Whole GC Taken Apart.jpg (50.76KiB)Viewed 2594 times

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:57 pm

...lol i forgot one pic...here it iss
Attachments
2 More.jpg
2 More.jpg (55.01KiB)Viewed 2593 times

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Tip for the pliers method...be VERY careful. You don't want to bend or scratch the motherboard at all when you do it. Go slowly and be patient.