Gamecube portable help....materials!!!!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ImaGetMines11
Gamecube portable help....materials!!!!

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Dear world...again :mrgreen:

I had a previous post on this website, but wanted to start a new one. I am looking to build a GCp myself. I finally got MOST of the materials, but I wanted some advice from everyone else. Currently, I have:

- 6 Gamecubes....2 with power/AVI cords (thank you ebay)
- 2 PS1 Screens (again, thanks ebay) :P
- A 15 watt soldiering iron
- A disordering iron
- .032 solider
- Clippers
- X-acto knifes
- Hot glue gun
- looooooots of hot glue :P

I know I need lithium batteries and a charger for them, but I am not sure what kind to get, or how many for that case...anyone know which ones work best?

I also have herd different things for wire, and am not sure if there is a specific brand of wire I should buy....any idea's on that?

And I have literally NO idea what I want to do for a case...but at the same time, i think thats a good thing lol

If anyone has any suggestions or anything to say, preferably positive, that would be much appreciated :D

Thanks,
IGM11

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Gamecube portable help....materials!!!!

Post by hailrazer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm

ImaGetMines11 wrote: - A disordering iron

First off that line almost made me fall off my chair laughing. :lol:

It's a de-soldering iron.

For batteries you will need 3-3.7v. Find out what to buy in my guide here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=34576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For most of the power wiring 22 gauge stranded is fine.
For the audio/video/controller you can use 30 gauge stranded or Ide cable.

For a case you can go vacuum formed, franken-case, or custom case like Bac uses.

Have fun and take your time, a GCP is hard to build.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:48 pm

WOW....sorry, I was on my itouch and I thought I checked all the spelling beforehand....I guess not lol <.<

And thank you hailrazer! I am finishing school within the next few weeks so I have allll this time until August to make one. As long as nothing catches fire, I think I will be fine :lol: (thats a joke, lol)

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:11 pm

hailrazer wrote:
ImaGetMines11 wrote: - For a case you can go vacuum formed, franken-case, or custom case like Bac uses
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but who is Bac?

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm

bacteria. he is inconsequential. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:41 pm

samjc3 wrote:bacteria. he is inconsequential. :wink:
:roll:

@ImaGetMines11 He is a portabalizer that used to be on these forums. He uses Tupperware to make cases.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

mako321

Post by mako321 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Doesn't he also vacuum form?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

mako321 wrote:Doesn't he also vacuum form?
Not anymore as far as I know it's all tupperware now.
My Portable Systems:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm

hailrazer wrote:
mako321 wrote:Doesn't he also vacuum form?
Not anymore as far as I know it's all tupperware now.

His iNto64 is vacuum formed :) (and since some other cases use the same case I am assuming he reuses the same mold)
He explains the tupperware method at about 7:30 in this video

Looks like you are getting lucky with the ebay :) Hailrazer told you what wire works well but a great way to recycle is to get wire out of old controller wires. It is stranded so it doesn't break easily at all.

For batteries, what most of us do is this:

3 or 4 of these:
http://www.batteryspace.com/highpowerpo ... arate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 gets less play time, 4 gets more.

If 3:
Protection Circuit:
http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor111vl ... ocket.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charger:
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If 4:
Protection Circuit:
http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor148vl ... ocket.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charger:
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously there are other ways like camcorder batteries so if you want to know what works and what doesn't, ask!

People have already hit the biggest points, but if you need more specific help, don't be afraid to post :)

ImaGetMines11

Post by ImaGetMines11 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks a lot; you all have helped me out incredibly!

I think I can officially say I am on my way to making a portable. With enough luck I should have it down by late august/early september at the latest...

I just remembered one thing:
I have worked with a soldiering iron before, and I have a pretty good feel for it....but I never have attempted to use it with circuitry. Is there a specific technique i should use to do this? Or like a youtube video or anything....what has worked best for you all?

Thanks again,
IGM11

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:02 pm

The best thing for soldering wires and all this circuitry is to make sure to tin your wire with solder and get solder on the other part of the joint you are going to be soldering together, and then just put them together and heat them up - the solder on the two different joints will melt together :)

Here is a pretty useful video on the subject :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;