Anime movies

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

khaag
Anime movies

Post by khaag » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are into anime, and I was looking for some more movies along the lines of My Neighbor Totoro, and other Studio Ghibli movies. Got any must-watch suggestions for me? I'm currently "obtaining" Spirited Away and 5 Centimeters Per Second.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Re: Anime movies

Post by Triton » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

howls moving castle, princess mononoke, spirited away (as you said), kikis delivery service. all are great miyazaki films. the cat returns is also pretty good. other anime movies i would highly recommend, but not really studio ghibli style are akira and interstella 5555

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 pm

There is one I paticularly enjoyed, but I can't remember the name of it. It was about a company that made these beds that took care of the elderly, but they actually were for world domination. They could add parts to themselves (reminiscent of the Katamari games). Anyone know the name?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Ghost in the Shell, 1 and 2 are good
Char's Counterattack
X
Escaflowne

These are all good. I have to give this warning though, GitS and X have some adult content and so many not be appropriate for kids.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Sparkfist wrote:Ghost in the Shell, 1 and 2 are good
Char's Counterattack
X
Escaflowne

These are all good. I have to give this warning though, GitS and X have some adult content and so many not be appropriate for kids.

-Sparkfist
+1 to GitS, awesome stuff. most of my anime watching is shows/series not movies so i dont really have a whole lot of suggestions in this area :lol:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Ponyo was pretty good, doesn't quite stand up to movies like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, but it wasn't bad by any means. I enjoyed it.

I don't know if you would, but I enjoyed the Naruto and Bleach movies :) (don't judge me, I don't watch the dubs).

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Jidan wrote:Ponyo was pretty good, doesn't quite stand up to movies like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, but it wasn't bad by any means. I enjoyed it.

I don't know if you would, but I enjoyed the Naruto and Bleach movies :) (don't judge me, I don't watch the dubs).
I have episodes 1 through 260 of bleach and the first movie :lol:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Hahah. My favorite was the Diamond Dust Rebellion :) I have only watched to about 240 on Kumby, though.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Tekkon Kinkreet is good.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 pm

The girl who leapt through time was pretty good, gotta watch it with subs since the dub sounds terrible

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 am

Hmm, good suggestions guys. You know what show I saw the first episode of that I really liked? Blood + Seemed like a really cool concept. Came bundled with the 30 Days of Night DVD. (Oh my goodness crap movie)
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Master Kirby

Post by Master Kirby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am

While not a movie, one Anime series that I would highly recommend is "Samurai 7". This is based on Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" movie, but enhanced through putting it in a slightly steam-punk setting (mix a feudal Japanese setting with Mechs and other technologies that would be a spoiler to tell) and adding more side stories. If you like sword-fighting and Scifi, you'll like Samurai 7.

Another good Miyazaki movie would be "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind", based off the Manga of the same name.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 am

Just remembered a few good ones.

Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Blood the last vampire

Vampire Hunter D is kind of aged in it's animation style, but still an interesting movie. Bloodlust is a very good sequel, I actually prefer the story to the original, and it's got updated and frankly more realistic style. Blood is well, it's worth checking out. And yes these are all vampire movies, no I'm not obsesed with vampire stuff, their just a few good anime movies.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.