What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face
Re: What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 pm

bicostp wrote:They're real APs (not routers; they don't do that) designed for corporate offices and warehouses full of flourescent lights and concrete walls. Cisco's IOS does have enterprise-level flexibility, but they're not as simple to set up as the $30 things you get at Wal-Mart. They do 802.11 a/b, the newer models do a/b/g. (You need a special antenna to do A, because of the frequency difference.)

The difference is in how much power they've got. We have one my dad's work was throwing away, and at full power I got a reliable signal with my laptop's built-in WiFi over 350' away, through walls, trees, and another house.

And no, it cannot run DD-WRT. It has a 200 mhz PowerPC, but they haven't bothered to support its wireless controller or figure out how to overwrite the stock system. I don't know why you'd even want to when you've got IOS to play with...
Because I'm not taking my Cisco classed untill next year. :lol: I may get one of these just to play with. Any idea on how many mW of power it uses for the antennas?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:10 am

Here's the datasheet.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ... 937a6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I've read, the WRT54g safely maxes out at 70mw transmit power, and doesn't have nearly the receiving sensitivity.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 am

bicostp wrote:Here's the datasheet.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ... 937a6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I've read, the WRT54g safely maxes out at 70mw transmit power, and doesn't have nearly the receiving sensitivity.
I've got mine at 200 :P I did throw a fan on top of it for good measure however.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:32 am

Well, running one of those at 100 you're going to burn it out in a couple years. A real AP will run at 100 forever. :P

And like I said the receiving sensitivity is much better. Doesn't do much good if your laptop can hear the AP but the AP can't hear the laptop. ;)

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Yeah I know double post, but this is relevant to the OP and it's been more than a day so there. :P

Got my SE online.

SE -> LocalTalk -> Cayman GatorBox (LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge) -> DSL router -> Internets

Unfortunately LocalTalk maxes out at 28.8k/sec, so you... have... to... be... patient. Also unfortunately, both the browsers I tried that can actually run on the SE spit inline CSS and Javascript out as raw text on the page. Maybe the SE/30 will run Netscape 3...

Got the Powerbook 1400 online the same way, but that's not really as interesting because it can run IE 5 which almost gives you a modern browsing experience. I do have Ethernet and WiFi cards that will probably work in it, but I need to find them or their drivers and I didn't feel like it. :lol: Before I set the GatorBox up, I was saving files to a CompactFlash card on my desktop, then reading it with a CF-to-PC Card adapter on the Powerbook, then sharing them to the SE with System 7's built-in AppleShare.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, here's what Google looks like. Note how far down you have to scroll to get past all the scripting. Would you believe it still works, even when it looks this broken?
Spoiler:

catsaiyan

Post by catsaiyan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Last edited by catsaiyan on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Bicostp, that is obviously why Macs are not popular. That thing can't even display an apostrophe correctly.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Give it a break, it's almost twice as old as you are! :P

Does anybody know of a decent free web proxy program? I want to see if I can redirect all of its traffic through my desktop, so I can strip all the formatting and crap out of web pages and make them render somewhat coherently on the browser from 1992.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Come on, it was a joke! I realize that that thing is from the stone age, but I was joking that it was just your average modern Mac. But woah- is that a 3.5 inch floppy drive I see!? Or is the thing just huge?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

smitty wrote:Come on, it was a joke! I realize that that thing is from the stone age, but I was joking that it was just your average modern Mac. But woah- is that a 3.5 inch floppy drive I see!? Or is the thing just huge?
WAHHh!! Those things were the raddest CPUs when I was in grade school.....Yes. that is a 3.5 floppy....
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm

3.5" 800k floppy. Later model SEs (and the much more advanced SE/30) had 1.4 MB floppy drives that could read Apple II and DOS floppies, but this one's older. Apple never put 360k 5.25" floppies on the Macs because they were too small to hold the system software with a practical amount of storage to spare. I think at least one third party company made external 5.25" floppy drives to go with the Apple II card the Mac LCs could have.

The whole thing isn't that big... 9 3/4" wide by 10" deep by 14" tall and it weighs about 19 pounds.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:32 pm

A lot of the space is probably the crt.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Yep! I found this shot of the insides of an SE/30 on Flickr. (Only the motherboard is different; hell they're interchangeable between the two models!)
Spoiler:
Spoiler'd because it's big.

Pretty much everything above the top floppy bay is for the monitor.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Replacing that with an lcd sounds like a fun project. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

thewise1 wrote:Replacing that with an lcd sounds like a fun project. :wink:
I thought about this. Get an LCD to fit in that space and put my Mac Mini inside. :wink: Widen the floppy drive slot and put the slotload CD drive there.

'Twould be a fun project. :D
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.