REMOVE!!!!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

aceboy44
Banned
REMOVE!!!!

Post by aceboy44 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 am

DELETE
Last edited by aceboy44 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: I want a laptop

Post by bassmasta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:25 am

Those games are casual?

It depends on a lot of factors:
-Screen Size
-Resolution
-Settings (Low-Medium-High)

This site might help you pick a graphics card, then you can find a laptop from there.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:17 pm

What's your budget?
Will you want it to play newer games?

EDIT: To make things easier, here are the system requirements for those two games:
Battlefield 2 wrote:
  • Windows XP
  • 1.7 GHz AMD Athlon XP, Sempron, Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron D CPU
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 2.3 GB hard disk space
  • sound card
  • DirectX compatible 128 MB graphics card, Radeon 8500 or GeForce FX 5700
C&C Generals - Zero Hour wrote:
  • Windows 98/2000/ME/XP or Mac OS X
  • 800 MHz Processor
  • 128 MB RAM
  • 8x CD-ROM Drive
  • 32 MB DirectX 8-compatible Graphics card
  • DirectSound-compatible Sound card
Basically any cheap laptop will run these games perfectly. (Not sure about the GMA 950 and Battlefield 2, so some netbooks might be iffy.)

Also, lag is more a network problem than one with the PC itself. It takes time for data to get from point A to point B, so if it's a high ping you're having trouble with there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Low framerates are different.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:06 pm

What size laptop are you looking for? 13"? 15"? 17"? Does weight matter to you? How about battery life? (well, when not gaming, obviously you will get terrible battery life when gaming :P )

Also, how do you define "without lag"? Do you typically play low, medium, or high settings?

Definitely +1 to notebookcheck.net, that can help you find out if the graphics card in a certain laptop will be good enough for you.

Edit: Forgot the most important question:
bicostp wrote:What's your budget?
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:30 am

Ok guys I want

1) 13 - 15 inch laptop
2) Battery life is not improtant but it would be nice to have a good battery life
3) I want to play these games on HIGH setting with 0 delay/lag
4) Quality is more important to me than Price
5) I want to have the best/fastest CPU I can ever get with SSD)

Anything else I didn't mention?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:43 am

What do you mean by "lag"? Low FPS, or network latency (ping)?

Just about any cheap piece of crap full size laptop you can find now will run both of those games perfectly.

There isn't a whole lot you can do about a high ping, unfortunately. A PC with a high end, six-core Intel CPU and a brand new top of the line graphics card is still going to have high ping (and therefore lag) if you're connecting to servers that are far away from you (logically or physically). That's a problem with your Internet connection and choice of server, not the PC. All you can do is get a better Internet connection or choose a closer server.

The real question is, do you want to play more modern games eventually? It would be really easy to waste $500 on a cheap laptop now that won't be able to keep up with new releases in 6 months.

What are you playing on now?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

aceboy44 wrote:Ok guys I want

1) 13 - 15 inch laptop
2) Battery life is not improtant but it would be nice to have a good battery life

Alright, I'll make a suggestion:
Asus 15.6" Core i7 with GTS 360m graphics
This looks to have quite a bit of power stuffed into a 15" laptop. I've heard that Asus makes high-quality laptops as well.

But I have a suggestion: have you considered the gaming desktop + netbook/less expensive laptop option? For around $1500 (the price of the aforementioned Asus) you can get a much better gaming desktop and a netbook/less expensive laptop. That way, you can have better gaming performance when you're playing video games and better portability when you're moving around.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

aceboy44 wrote:Ok guys I want

1) 13 - 15 inch laptop

Fragbook DRX. http://www.falcon-nw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fits all those requirements except it has a 17 inch screen (fastest CPU you can find in a laptop, SSD, quality > price, will play anything, and the battery life is lousy at best). Are you sure you don't have a budget in mind? :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Real advice: :P
bassmasta wrote:
jdmlight wrote:But I have a suggestion: have you considered the gaming desktop + netbook/less expensive laptop option? For around $1500 (the price of the aforementioned Asus) you can get a much better gaming desktop and a netbook/less expensive laptop. That way, you can have better gaming performance when you're playing video games and better portability when you're moving around.
I agree. Much better performance and as cheaper.
This. I spent under $1500 over the past ~2.5 years on computery junk, and it's netted me a desktop that can play just about anything I've thrown at it with a 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor and BD-ROM drive and HDTV tuner, my 10" 800mhz P-III Lifebook (which is for sale if you want it :mrgreen: ) that I got two solid years of use from (even though it was ~5 years old when I got it :lol: ), and my Acer Aspire One netbook with 6 hours of battery life. I get the performance I need in my desktop, with enough oomph to chug through most games, and the display resolution (and hardware) to view HD video in its full glory (from Blu-Ray/HDTV/downloads/etc), and a total of 4TB of storage space. Then I have my little netbook with its boring Atom CPU that can do web and office stuff with no troubles, and lasts a whopping six hours on a charge, so I rarely have to ever worry about plugging that sucker in.

I really do see it as the best of both worlds; power and portability, and for roughly the same price of doing both in a mediocre fashion.
Last edited by lifeisbetterwithketchup on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm

jdmlight wrote: Asus 15.6" Core i7 with GTS 360m graphics
This looks to have quite a bit of power stuffed into a 15" laptop. I've heard that Asus makes high-quality laptops as well.
:lol:
jdmlight wrote:But I have a suggestion: have you considered the gaming desktop + netbook/less expensive laptop option? For around $1500 (the price of the aforementioned Asus) you can get a much better gaming desktop and a netbook/less expensive laptop. That way, you can have better gaming performance when you're playing video games and better portability when you're moving around.
I agree. Much better performance and as cheaper.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm thinking Alienware but the keyboard sucks....

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm

aceboy44 wrote:I'm thinking Alienware but the keyboard sucks....
That's like saying "I'm going to buy a Honda..."
Which model? M11x? M15x? M17x?

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

bassmasta wrote:
aceboy44 wrote:I'm thinking Alienware but the keyboard sucks....
That's like saying "I'm going to buy a Honda..."
Which model? M11x? M15x? M17x?
M15x

Software & Services
SYSTEM COLOR Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-620M 2.66GHz (3.33Ghz Turbo Mode, 4M cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit
VIDEO CARD 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M edit
LCD PANEL 15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED edit
MEMORY 3GB DDR3 at 1066MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 128GB Solid State Drive edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW) edit
BATTERY OPTIONS Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11AGN Half Mini Card edit
Personalize
PERSONALIZED PLATE Personalized Nameplate edit
ALIENFX COLOR AlienFX Quasar Blue edit
WALLPAPER Alien Cyborg edit
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: On edit
My Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
BLUETOOTH Internal Bluetooth 2.1 Mini-Card - 2.1 Enhanced Data Rate
Adobe Reader Acrobat SW Adobe Acrobat Reader
Standard Nameplate Trigger Thank you for Purchasing Alienware

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 am

you can probably find a cheapo one on ebay that will most likely run your games. i was able to run Diablo 2 for a few years using an OLD Dell Latitude.

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 am

Ok guys I need your input on this:

I'm thinking of getting myself the ASUS G73JH-X1 laptop since it seems to be a good deal, however, as others mentioned in their reviews on Newegg.com some of these laptops will arrive DOA. Since I live overseas I refuse to pay for overseas shipping because of a company's fault (USA - Kuwait - USA) as this will cost me something like $400 :evil: . My laptop currently has a 3.06 Ghz CPU (Core 2 Duo) but can't run games due to cheap VGA, downgraded to windows XP, and it overheats when I run games on it. Any suggestions?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am

As far as I would go with the laptop, I try to avoid refurbished as much as possible, as you do run the risk of a DOA. Look if you can at Tigerdirect.com and Microcenter.com, both like Newegg have great deals on new laptops at about the $200-300 range.

When you say VGA do you mean the type of graphics card, the output type (vga -> monitor) or something else? With any OS, make sure you can find the needed drivers for your system. If you downgraded did you do that with or without a downgrade option and access to drivers? Lastly for handing the overheating, there are options as simple as keeping the laptop an inch or more above to leave room for ventilation. Other options you can look into are laptop coolers which are dual fans that keep air circulating so you don't have over heating issues, their generally USB powered and only $20-30 too

Other then that your current laptop shouldn't have any problems running the games you want.

-Sparkfist

P.S. One last thing, be sure to give your laptop a good cleaning. Blow it out with compressed air to remove dust.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.