My plans for making a deployable Dreamcast Laptop.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

roxasnobody
Re: My plans for making a deployable Dreamcast Laptop.

Post by roxasnobody » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 pm

aceboy44 wrote:
roxasnobody wrote:
aceboy44 wrote:Well the guy is just expressing his opinion. Nothing wrong with that :wink:
True True , Maybe he got stuck in the desert it sucks there :P its hell on earth .... in Summer anyway , Aceboy your from kuwait ? :P
Yup, but I can see why he doesn't like living here :P
What School Do you go to Ace ? , And yeah In Summer heat can go upto 60c but what really is interesting we play soccer for 3 hours during day time even though the Temp. is 50c :shock:

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. I haven't made any more progress.

And on all the discussion about Kuwait, well I shouldn't say anyone. I actually like Kuwait, when I'm in Kuwait City, but the rest of it sucks, and I'm away from my family. No offense to anyone. The parts I've been to that aren't dust are wonderful, with few exceptions.

Anyway back on topic, I'll post anything else I do for those that are interested.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEGA-DREAMCAST-HI ... 2eac169776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want that, I got a UK address you can have it sent to, and I'll send it to you when it arrives here in the US. Just pay the guy selling it the price on the listing and me whatever shipping via first class mail is. If you want that or something else that can only be shipped within europe or the UK, pm me. I got a big package that's coming from there very soon.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 am

1. With a case like that, you could definitely fit some nice batteries in there :mrgreen: I would suggest looking on batteryspace.com and getting some big Li-Ions.

2. Have you tried the Dreamcast on that screen? If that's a computer monitor it probably only takes VGA and I don't think you can get VGA from a Dreamcast.
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 am

You can get VGA from a dreamcast. Theres methods of modding the motherboard or you could simply buy a dreamcast VGA cable. The bonus of VGA cables is that they make the dreamcast display in 480p instead of 480i. So the colors and graphics are slightly better when its on a monitor compared to on a TV.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:You can get VGA from a dreamcast. Theres methods of modding the motherboard or you could simply buy a dreamcast VGA cable. The bonus of VGA cables is that they make the dreamcast display in 480p instead of 480i. So the colors and graphics are slightly better when its on a monitor compared to on a TV.
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:07 pm

That is a PC monitor, I have a VGA adapter cable. I've used the DC on it, looks splendid. I've finally decided to make the enclosure out of fiberglass. I was thinking Plexiglas, but I like the idea of using fiberglass. My biggest problem so far has been powering my 120vac DC in a 220vac country. I think I've figured out what to do. I could use a laptop power supply to get 12v and use that and some regulators for the 5v and the 3.3v.

Any ideas or suggestions please post. Oh and I don't want batteries.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:49 pm

killmickey wrote:That is a PC monitor, I have a VGA adapter cable. I've used the DC on it, looks splendid. I've finally decided to make the enclosure out of fiberglass. I was thinking Plexiglas, but I like the idea of using fiberglass. My biggest problem so far has been powering my 120vac DC in a 220vac country. I think I've figured out what to do. I could use a laptop power supply to get 12v and use that and some regulators for the 5v and the 3.3v.

Any ideas or suggestions please post. Oh and I don't want batteries.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5536wt_914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stepdown converters are cheap. you have the space for them

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:59 am

I've had multiple people tell me to get a step-down converter. I have one big problem with this, the good step-down converters are heavy. I'll be carrying this thing to the other side of the globe.

My main question is does anyone now how to make a power supply form discreet components to run the dreamcast from 12V? I can get something to make 110-220 into 12v but from there I'm kinda lost. I'm handy with a soldering iron and can wire some stuff together but I can't design circuits. If someone could help me with my power supply issue I can do the rest.

And again I don't want it to be battery operated. I want to plug it into any main power that I have available and play.

Thanks,

Killmickey

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 pm

killmickey wrote:I've had multiple people tell me to get a step-down converter. I have one big problem with this, the good step-down converters are heavy. I'll be carrying this thing to the other side of the globe.

My main question is does anyone now how to make a power supply form discreet components to run the dreamcast from 12V? I can get something to make 110-220 into 12v but from there I'm kinda lost. I'm handy with a soldering iron and can wire some stuff together but I can't design circuits. If someone could help me with my power supply issue I can do the rest.

And again I don't want it to be battery operated. I want to plug it into any main power that I have available and play.

Thanks,

Killmickey
pico PSU

mako321

Post by mako321 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 pm

One or two of This Battery with [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-3-7V-7-4V ... 2385wt_930]This Charger[url] and some texas instruments pth08080 or pth08000 step down regulators will power that dc for a while, I don't know about the screen though :P